It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:11 am 
Omaha Arrowheads

Quote:
I think it was terrible decision that you allowed Texas, to get better after the trade deadline. Therefore putting me and the rest of the league at a disadvantage.

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guy's, I allowed this trade because technically we hadn't simmed week 9 yet so I was trying to be flexible. I could have been very black and white about this situation but I tried to be chill and make a fair decision for both parties. Again I always try to be fair to all and it's tough so I tried to make the best decision I could within the bounds of the house and game rules.

I really didn't think this was going to be an issue or I would have had the whole league vote on it, like I have in the past. That said, I'm going to put a poll out to see how the whole league feels.

Also, I love these kinds of discussions they only make our league better so I encourage owners to participate in them.
I think it was terrible decision that you allowed Texas, to get better after the trade deadline. Therefore putting me and the rest of the league at a disadvantage.

Either in the future the Deadline should actually be the deadline, or we should move it to week 9. I've always been one that works within the rules, so I didn't like seeing this trade allowed, especially since I've personally asked you to move the trade deadline in the past, but you rejected my request. I'm not angry about the trade but just disappointed in how it was handled.
This is categorically untrue and you are successfully baiting me by continuing on with that attitude. The exception you were granted earlier (trading a rookie UDFA) this season was far more exploitative of playing the game as it is meant to be played than this incident in my opinion. But since JJ accepted it, I wasn't going to whine about it. He has likely extended leniencies to me as well in the past. Simultaneously regretting my silence and response now.

FWIW, I would have preferred to see this trade denied, but don't see it as a big deal and am actually relieved that I am not the ultimate arbitrator but I will be voting for respecting the hard rule in the future. There is no a grey area here for me unlike many other situations that come up.

17 Division Titles
3-1 Bowls (2056, 2061, 2064, 2065)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm 

Why are people getting so offended by mere text in a forum?

I wasnt trying to bait anyone. I have plenty I could say as a reply, but I'm going to stop commenting on here that way no one else becomes offended by words and to stop the drama.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm 
Omaha Arrowheads

Quote:
Why are people getting so offended by mere text in a forum?
First time on the internet huh.. :smt003

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:29 pm 

Yeah I've never seen text in a forum get out of hand :lol:

Honestly, toots I don't think you appreciate what JJ is doing for us here...

He's not Rodger Goodell, this isn't the NFL. In our league the commissioner is a real live person who keeps this league running out of a love for the game and a passion for the owners in this league. Maybe you watch too much ESPN, because in this league the commissioner isn't a shadowy devil; he's just a dude trying to keep 31 other adults happy about a god damn video game give him some slack and cut it out with this passive aggressive bitching.

You are getting dangerously close to being outright disrespectful in your tone and demeanor as this thread continues. Everybody else seems to recognize this line and I would suggest you adjust accordingly.

Nobody else is volunteering to get up at 5 every Tuesday and Thursday (and every day during off season) to sim this league. We've had other commissioners before who have been amazing and yet have never had the consistency and punctuality the JJ has provided.

Everybody has opinions, I am no different on this issue; but you've been in the league for about a cup of coffee compared to the rest of us, so maybe you need to change your tone or attitude. Every one of us has had decisions in this league that don't go our way; most of us have learned to be mature enough to let them go, if you can't get past this one (especially this stupid one) then this probably isn't the right league for you and I can point you to several others that may be able to better accommodate your "passion".

I'm usually seen and not heard and I've never had anything but kind words for the other owners in this league, but honestly you are starting to irritate me worse than my ingrown toenail- that's my 2¢ I'm done hearing yours.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

The ability to state a case rationally instead of emotionally comes with age. When an argument is stated rationally, it tends to be received more openly than an emotional response. Sound advice for anyone willing to take it.

I started this discussion because I felt conflict in this situation. I support the decision from the Commissioner's office but my left brain questioned my right brain's support. My fear is that this one-time decision made under very specific circumstances would lead to a perception that the current rule is a guideline or recommendation and not a rule.

Regardless of what week we vote to make the trade deadline, it is the deadline. Period. The commissioner has the power to make decisions on his own, by league vote, or by random suggestion of syphilitic prostitute if he so chooses, to grant exceptions to this or any other rule, be it an in-game or house rule. This decision to grant an exception to the rule does not change the rule.

The trade happened - let's move on. I started a discussion so we could all collectively share our opinions of the situation so if it happens again, we have a definitive discussion thread of the precedent itself and also as a point of reference for the Commissioner, current or future, on how the league's owners felt about what occurred.

If you don't see any potential problems move along. If you see something that could be a problem, discuss it and do so rationally. Maybe this will engage another owner and result in a healthy dialogue - you don't need agreement to have discussion.

The goal is to not change or affirm what already happened, it is to know where we stand as a group. This may be helpful for a much more important decision later on, even if none of us are still in the league when it happens. As an owner of the CFL, you will always be part of the CFL's legacy. Yes Ralphie, you could shoot your eye out with this much accountability, but you can also change an imaginary world that only 31 other dudes care about at a single point in real-time.