It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Week 14 Betting Preview
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:55 am 

Spot on week 13, boys, we went 3-0. Brings us to 4-5 through 3 weeks, but that's not bad... it's a marathon, not a sprint.

That said, 3 games to look at this week:
Alaska @ Omaha (-7) - This line looks way off... Alaska is another top flight squad at 9-3 and one that is more or less healthy. CB Brendan Chillar is still questionable and unlikely to play, having sat out since their week 6 BYE, but the ALA secondary has been just fine without him. Though ALA hasn't been pummeling opponents recently, they're still coming out on top against quality teams like FAR, DEN, and BOI.
Veteran QB Jimmy Marischen is still playing at a very high level, but this his worst season statistically (excluding his rookie campaign) and I suspect it might be the retirement of T Lonnie Heckathorn. Take away one of the pillars of that offensive line and slot in two new players and there's bound to be slip-ups. I expect Alaska to stay within the number, sustaining long drives with an efficient run behind Don Washington and deep passes to one of the most talented receiving corps in the CFL. 36-30 OMA, though this game is close to meaningless for both squads, as neither are really in any danger of losing their playoff spot. Bet with caution!

Brooklyn (-3) @ Fargo - How the mighty have fallen! 2056 League Champions Fargo are stuck in the doldrums of the Cavalry division at 6-6. It's not their fault, really, as injuries have struck hot and fast with just about everyone on the offense missing time during the season. RB Jeff Fulton has been sensational as usual and the fact that the squad is still in the hunt is testament to the future HOFer's greatness.
Down the home stretch, everyone looks to be getting healthy and I think it's safe to say that we can throw out the first half of the season when looking to make some bets. There were miscues against DVY last week, but QB Woodard and the boys will surely tighten that up against a BKN squad that may have gotten exposed by IWC. Look for FAR to win a statement game as they can't really afford to drop any more of these. 36-27 FAR.

Miami @ Boston (-9) - This looks like a very juicy underdog play to me as Boston's starting QB Miles Klingbiel was knocked out of last week's game with a separated shoulder. Couple that with the loss of TE Silas Wick in week 10 and we can see the cracks starting to show for a team that is, on paper, absolutely stacked.
WRs Buddy Torres and Winfred Rodriguez are still healthy and ready to shred defenses if the ball can come their way, but who will be under center? QB Klingbiel took most of the snaps in preseason and QB Emmanuel Dawson didn't look particularly good the one exhibition game he did start. I suspect it will be Dawson, but boy does their release of QB Devante Brandon in the offseason look bad now!
MIA is about as mediocre a team can be, but the rushing attack behind rookie Thomas Holmes has looked quite good and midseason acquisition LT Seth Shaw looks to bolster that. On the flip side their rushing defense has been pretty solid, squashing lesser rushers like RBs Richie Arnold, Trey Keith, and Don Washington, though Jeff Fulton type guys still get theirs. The jury is still out on RB Barker Thurman, but if RB Taylor Murray gets more snaps, watch out! I expect a very close game, possibly an upset here-- 22-20 BOS.

Picks:
ALA +7
FAR +3
MIA +9

Last edited by zenzog on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Week 14 Betting Preview
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm 

Man, I was checking all day to see if we would make the list..love your stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm 

Ushikawa wrote:
Man, I was checking all day to see if we would make the list..love your stuff.

Thanks, I'm trying to rotate around to different teams but at the same time want to focus on teams that are still in the playoff race...
I'm a little annoyed that I can't see old rosters or player cards really, though some parts of the website haven't been updated since 2056 so that helps!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:06 am 

Enjoy your write up every week!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:07 am 
Omaha Arrowheads

Not this time.

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am 

2-1 ain't bad against the spread! (Sorry to FAR and OMA for the jinx...)

Offline Profile