It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2058 Season Previews - Ranking the CFL Defenses 4-1
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:13 pm 

4. Los Angeles Outlaws
Projected Starters
DL - LDE Deion Emerson, LDT Gino Leaf, RDT J.J. Wisniewski, RDE Darren Shapiro
LB - SLB Brady Moss (N), MLB Howard Ferguson, WLB Jorge Vanderlaan
DB - LCB Johnny Schwartz, RCB Kevin Rector, SS Korey Jefferson, FS Irving Jernigan, DB Cary Barber (R)

Along with Boston, Los Angeles was a huge surprise in 2057 defensively. The team took their OpPPG from 22.3 to 18 and OpYPG from 367.8 to 344, both good for tops in the league. There are just two notable changes going into 2058-- FS Jimmie Agranoff was not extended and we should see FS Jernigan take over there. LB Aidan Godfrey also left in free agency, replaced by a dvision rival LB Brady Moss formerly of Honolulu. There could be bad blood here after 4 seasons facing the Outlaws, but Moss should be a stellar upgrade. We’re also excited to see how DE Louie Liddell will fit into the scheme, but it's really not clear as the team has so much talent up and down the defensive front. All I can say is the pieces are in place for this unit to be dominant.

3. Detroit Vampires
Projected Starters
DL - LDE Riley Gray, NT Gage Schindlbeck, RDE Scott Gradkowski
LB - SLB Lionel McConnell, SILB Avery Agustoni, WILB Tom Carr, WLB Aidan Walsh (N)
DB - LCB Tom Louis, RCB Roy Irwin, SS Luis Anthony, FS Austin Cox, DB Clay Bech

New GM zenzog came in and shocked the league with a Cinderella run to the FO Bowl in his first season with the Vampires. A huge part of that was this fearsome defensive front anchored by NT Schindlbeck-- arguably the scariest guy to run into on the field. His huge reach and incredible strength force teams to commit to the double team and that opens up opportunities for Gradkowski and Gray to find paydirt. Combining for 21 sacks in a 3 man front is outstanding and pressure would come from all over the field. DE Aidan Walsh comes into a team that needs a boost from the edge and has played WLB before and I'm excited to see how it will play out. Unlike the next team on this list, the Vampires were able to hold against the run as well. It was against high flying quarterbacks that Detroit struggled despite trying several configurations and schemes. Many teams attacked Rookie CB Roy Irwin and were able to find success, but the team's faith seems to still be with him as no DBs were picked up in the offseason. If this secondary can improve off uneven performances at the corners, the Vampires could boast the league’s best defense in 2058.

2. Las Vegas Rounders
Projected Starters
DL - LDE Malachi Johnstone, LDT Austin McGee, RDT Logan Sjostrand, RDE Chester Anagnostis
LB - SLB Donnie Gillespie, MLB Jay Martinez, WLB Omar Brock
DB - LCB D.J. Strzelcyk, RCB Jerry Sexton, SS Adrian Sweazy, FS Ken Kelley, DB Marshall Leyva

The Rounders are the team that Quarterbacks have nightmares about. The best pass rush in the league led the CFL in total sacks and it was that unit that cemented the team's first championship since 2041. GM Turftoe decided to run it all back, making no changes to the team's starstudded lineup. The one minor knock against the team is that the singular focus has been to get after the QB and occasionally they do get exposed against the run. RB Richie Arnold and Taylor Murray were two rushers that had monster games against LVS and that will be something to work on going into 2058. Still, in crunch time the Rounders were a brick wall, only allowing a league best 16.3 points per game and a second best 31.2 3rd down conversion rate. It could just be a side effect of the sheer aggression that comes from this amazing bunch of players and can anyone really be that upset?

1. Denver Dynomite
Projected Starters
DL - LDE Tommy Branch, NT Emmanuel Wortham, RDE Kent Luckman
LB - SLB Nate Berry, SILB Shaun Buchanan, WILB Jorge Caputo, WLB Junior Young
DB - LCB Javier McCarthy, RCB Francisco Russell, SS Dillon Asavamonchai, FS Alec Roberts, DB Tony Waddle

We're not sure there's a team more equipped to match up against the any offenses than the Dynomite. Re-signing FS Alec Roberts to stick around with SS Dillon Asavamonchai was a great move and keeps a scary ballhawking duo together. CB Russell is among football's top young corners, replacing CB Dalton Benson, while McCarthy found resurgent form with reduced pressure. Berry and Young combined for 18.5 sacks and show no signs of slowing down in 2057. A defensive line of Tommy Branch, Emmanuel Wortham, Kent Luckman and Junior Young might very well be the best in the entire CFL. Opponents will have their hands full trying to crack this unit. I fully expect the Dynomite to return to the playoffs and find themselves at the top of the league (defensively).

Last edited by zenzog on Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2058 Season Previews - Ranking the CFL Defenses 4-1
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm 

Please excuse my hubris with these rankings, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Hope everyone has a great 2058 season!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

Great job with all of these!

I especially enjoyed reading the breakdowns on the teams I don't get to play often as I only have time to watch a handful of games every week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:22 am 

These were really good reads.

Offline Profile