It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am 

Had to take a break after the beating we took in week 6... need to rest up and recalibrate. It's a damn good thing too since I started drafting a post and all my picks lost. In any case, we have a couple road dogs that I like this week:

Boston at Hartford (-2) - BOS is coming off their bye week looking to bounce back from two close losses to BKN and IWC. CB Alworth and RB Barker missed a few weeks, but should be healthy enough this week. The retooled offensive line without OG Kanervala is a bigger question mark, but they looked OK against BKN and I think they'll continue to gel as the season goes on.

HAR is still just a mess... against a DET team in a tailspin they were unable to convert on excellent field position and two trips to the red zone. Rookie QB Barker's ghastly interceptions practically handed the win to the Vampires who were held to a pathetic 250 offensive yards. It wasn't the worst offensive performance this week, but it was up there. I think Vegas must be expecting Barker and Alworth to sit out, but I don't think they will as BOS needs to pick up the easy wins if they want to return to the playoffs.

BOS wins this one on the road behind a rejuvenated Thurman Barker, 27-20.

Denver at Death Valley (-7) - DEN got put in the dumpster against FAR this week. Even with two interceptions on the Sodbusters' side of the field, QB Allen and the Dynomite were unable to post a competitive scoreline. DEN's top flight defense has regressed significantly this season, falling to the middle of the pack in many metrics, but the talent is still there. I hope they'll be able to shake it off and perform this week against a Copperheads team that probably has not been favored by 7 or more points since 2055.

DVY has their own issues on defense and a team that ranks dead last in passing yards allowed and 31st in total yards allowed simply can't be fixed in one week. They probably would be last if their opponent last week was anyone other than ELP. The team has a weakness in the secondary that I hope an experienced QB in Cooper Allen can exploit. If DEN loses here, I'd be first in line calling for changes.

I chalk up this week's loss to some Bye Week shenanigans. The Dynomite pick this one up 30-24 in what could be the ugliest game this week.

Kansas City at Atlantic City (-2) - The Phantoms conclude their tour of the Great Lakes with a game at home against the Storm. At 1-2 against the GL division, ACI struggled against the gritty Midwestern defenses. QB Amadro and the boys are in for a tough one as the Storm are probably the most complete defensive package in the CFL right now. The injection of youth with rookies LB Edwin West and DT Joe Butterfield has revitalized this unit and there is effort and hustle here that a lot of teams lack, ACI included.

There's certainly a chance for the Phantoms if they can shut down the Grueneich-Van Pelt connection, but KCY has the weapons on offense to make do. They aren't running the ball particularly well, but this matchup could be a good one if LBs Mangrum and Crawford are forced into coverage. Amadro will need to find more success with WRs Stephenson and Keith than they have against other GL teams and I just don't see it happening.

KCY knocks the Phantoms down this week in a low scoring affair 20-13.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:11 pm 

I just knew, that when you got around to KC, Butterfield would come up. :lol: :wink:

Love these picks and im glad to be mentioned so favorable after your season reviews.

Joined in 2057

Offline Profile