It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 14
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:59 pm 

Perfect picks last week-- strange to see games play out just as expected...

Hoping to continue the streak here and again, focusing on teams with something to play for.

Cleveland at El Paso (-0) - Don't think anyone really though the Rockets would be in this position, but here they are fighting for a playoff berth. They actually could win their division if some horrible misfortune befalls both MIA and FAR. Also, they need to win... and they are hosting a Sentries team that just laid stinker at home against BAL.

CLE was my dark horse in the East going into 2058, but I'm not sure I like what I see when this team takes the field. Drafting RB Mansour is great and all, but not when you change your offense to not make use of your all-star TE Colin Lane. He's blocking more and the targets he does get tend to be dump offs that just don't take advantage of his route running. Mansour is pretty good, but the team isn't going anywhere force feeding him the ball.

Meanwhile, ELP's QB Wyatt Sulivan is developing nicely behind the top offensive line in the league and the front office is making some surprising win-now moves to acquire talent. The team is plucky on offense and entertaining to watch-- but it's the defense that really keeps them in games. I hate to say it, but I'm backing the Rocketmen this week to keep their dreams alive 27-20 ELP.

Santa Cruz at St Louis (-4) - Not a particularly exciting matchup, but one with playoff implications nonetheless. STL at 6-6 is in prime position to pick up a wildcard spot but I don't think they'll do it here. QB Joyner leads all rookies with his pass completion rate and is putting himself in the rising stars conversation. He's not asked to do too much, but having two competent receivers and a big target in WR Crews with great hands does help. The offensive line is another strength for the Arch and matches up well against one of the least aggressive defenses in SCU, but the problem will be dealing with future HOFer Jeff Fulton.

Though he's splitting carries with RB Schreiber, the 30 year old Fulton is still a workhorse and seems to be getting better as the season drags on. Regrettably, the Privateers did nothing to address their weak receiving corps before the trade deadline and it really dampens their outlook beyond the regular season. I don't know how they can, but they need to lean more into their power run and not abandon it if they go down early. That said, the stout STL run defense may encourage QB Kelley to air it out but he might not get punished for doing so. I like the Privateers to win on the road here and expect a big game from Fulton. 24-20 SCU.

San Antonio at Oregon (-2) - Despite picking up an impressive victory against KCY, the Stingers are basically eliminated at 5-7. They do have a chance if they win out from here, but ORE seems to have found themselves after a rocky start to the season put them at 3-6 before a string of three wins brought them back to life.

I think we have to talk about QB Hitchcock and how the backup from DET found himself a starting job-- the guy is not afraid to air it out and actually sits at #5 in yards per attempt. The key is that he has two of the best receivers in the league to catch those deep balls. Everyone knows how good WR Spradling and TE Weikel are, but the problem with the team is depth. Hopefully they both stay healthy enough to put the Stingers to bed.

The one trick team that is RB Lovallo can pick up wins but a receiving corps made of "depth" just doesn't cut it in the CFL. Their recent games just don't fill me with any sort of confidence and QB England's atrocious showings week in and week out are hard to watch. Nothing against WR Roesler, but he has the sam receiving yards (550) through 12 games as he had all of 2057 but 50 more targets. That kind of offensive load is reserved for true studs. At this point, give WR Farlow some more looks or put your rookies in and see what they've got!

I won't be surprised if the Stingers win, but I like the Bandits to put together a better overall game and move to 7-6. 30-20 ORE.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 14
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:58 am 

Great read, Zenzog.. I hope you are right..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 am 

landshark44 wrote:
Great read, Zenzog.. I hope you are right..

Bang!

Though ORE winning by 2 is a push... easily coulda scored on that last drive but I guess they did the right thing and took a knee.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am 

Look at you, calling for Kelley to air it out and he does, well for him at least, and he pulls off game MVP. Thanks!

Offline Profile