It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2059 Betting Preview - Week 11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 pm 

A gruesome week for everyone involved... 17/30 now through 10 weeks and I'll just go with gut plays.

We do have three juicy divisional matchups this week which could cement playoff spots for some of these teams.

Miami (-6) at Denver - DEN slid down the power rankings over the last few weeks, but I like them at home against MIA. The Dynomite are playing well, just not quite enough to beat some of the tougher teams in the league in FAR, LVS, and LAS. ELP might have figured out how to use its new pieces so maybe they're actually good now. The jury is out on how bad last week's loss truly was. QB Allen has been disastrously bad the last few weeks-- in his last 4 games, he threw 8 interceptions! It doesn't matter that WR Schwiner is out there winning his one-on-ones or that RB Eagleton is a candidate for OROY if Cooper keeps sabotaging his team's chances.

The Talons are in a similar spot and struggled against the same opponents. If I had to pick a team that I thought was better, I would say MIA but just by a hair. Their defensive line, led by DE Nichols, has been one of the very best and allows CB Perry and SS Kramer to make aggressive plays on the ball. But like the Dynomite, their offense leaves a bit to be desired. QB Hughes just isn't clicking all that well with his receivers and 3rd and long is often the end of drives.

This game could certainly go either way but I just have to take the points with DEN. QB Allen can't keep throwing to the other colored jerseys, but if he does... well, it's a risk we have to take. I'll even call the win here-- DEN 24-20.

Baltimore at Omaha (-3) - The Atlantic division is a close race for the first time since 2055 and the plucky Bombers are doing their part to keep things interesting.

A fantastic win against BKN was sandwiched between two head scratching losses to ACI and STL where QB O'Neill looked lost on the field. The coaching staff is trying to move things around and figure it out. WR Stevenson and rookie RB Sellars are getting more touches and it certainly seems like they're on the right track. RB Arbogast should be in line for a nice game as RB Sellars is expected to sit out. The defense has been stellar and will need to be again this week.

OMA had been limping in and out of games this first half of the season but put the hurting on HAR last week in emphatic fashion. The defense came up with 3 takeaways and WR Stone stepped in for WR Dole to the tune of 10 catches, 132 yards, and 3 TDs. It was an encouraging sign for a team that has been without its stars in WR Dole and RB Johnson-- I was expecting the team to hurry one or the other back for this week but that might not be necessary.

That being the case, I like BAL to cover and maybe even win this week. Defensively, the Bombers should be able to contain OMA's less talented weapons even if WR Stone or TE Duran break off one or two big plays. Offensively, I think QB O'Neill will be able to put a few scoring drives together as the Arrowheads really haven't been able to stop their opponents. BAL completes the sweep this week, 20-17.

Seattle at Oregon (-1) - Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that the Spartans would rattle off 8 straight wins since losing miserably to the Bandits in week 1.

QB Emmons threw 3 interceptions and fumbled once as the Bandits cruised to a 37-24 victory. In the 8 wins since, he would throw just 2 more. Admittedly, their opponents haven't been the best-- but this would be a good test to see if the Spartans really have made it to the next level. I'd love to see if this offensive line can stand up to that tougher opposition. Led by RG Beechler, this unit boasts some of the best blocking metrics in the league.

I think Oregon is the better team, the more complete team. They've cooled off over the last two weeks but still have electric playmakers up and down the field. As good as the Spartans have looked, I still have my doubts... CBs Sexton and Kahn will certainly have their hands full with WRs Wojdylo and Hartsock but the Spartans just don't have anyone who can really keep up with TE Weikel and WR Spradling.

Both teams are expected to have all their starters suit up so we should be in for a high scoring shootout. Hopefully QB Emmons will continue being careful with the ball but I expect the Bandits to outrun and outlast the Spartans. We'll have a different story and different drama from week 1, but the result should be the same: a convincing win for ORE 36-30.

Offline Profile