It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2059 Betting Preview - Week 16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am 

The penultimate round of games... and we stemmed the bleeding a bit with two ATS wins (ALA really dropped the ball there... but at least they covered!). 21/39 for now, hopefully we can finish the season strong.

Shreveport (-1) at Honolulu - Well, I certainly didn't think this game would be important but SHR needs this win to secure a bye while HON can squeak into the playoffs with an upset.

With rookie QB Minton's injury setbacks, HON's QB Fryday is the front runner for Offensive Rookie of the Year. The front office has done a great job simplifying his options-- their conservative gameplans feature plays designed for high completion rates allowing receivers to pick up YAC in the open field. The strong offensive line and do-it-all RB Gaiter tilt defenses towards the run already but QB Fryday is proving to be an extremely mobile threat and so far opponents have not figured out how to deal with it. Outside of a complete shutdown of BCI's air raid offense, the Hammerheads have not impressed defensively but with the Pride's injury woes it may not matter.

QB Nolan Scott is done for the season but the Pride can't let his efforts go to waste. The depth chart doesn't look great-- third year QB Lepore got a crack at the job following Nolan's injury but GM Ravenhawk brought in the ageless QB Mackie after just two weeks. Neither have been particularly good. It's clear that RB Russell will have it all to do in the coming weeks as the team desperately figures out what to bring into the post season.

Unfortunately for the Pride, they're on a short week with a long trip to HON and I simply can't see them coming out with a win at the Aloha State. QB Fryday has his flaws but he's looking far better than either option SHR has at the moment. Give me HON and a methodical win: 24-17.

Durham (-1) at Miami - Since I wrote about DUR last week, I won't really go into too much depth there-- the focus is on the Talons who, as of this writing, have about a 6% chance to make the postseason.

The boys from South Beach have had a pretty rough second half of the season but it came against quality opponents. Having to play against LVS, FAR, and DEN would hurt any team's record. Some losses are close but by and large the Talons either win by a lot or lose by a lot. It really comes down to the inconsistent offense that simply can't get yardage on the ground when they need to. When coupled with turnover issues, some games it just looks like there's nothing that MIA can do to win.

MIA's defense is certainly a top 10 unit and the veteran secondary could capitalize on an errant throw by QB Ortiz but I just don't think I can throw myself in front of the Bulldogs locomotive. This team looks like a different animal after their bye and I've lost several bets against 'em. The Bulldogs win this one and cement their spot at the top of the division: 27-17.

Detroit at Oregon (-3) - DET was featured last week and their campaign for a playoff berth continues in week 16. That path is much easier with the win over CLE and the team sits fairly comfortably at the top of the division. However, if they lost their final two games and any of their rivals won their final two games, they could get leapfrogged. Looking at schedule though, it's unlikely CLE, IWC, or KCY would win out.

Still, it would be a weight off of GM zenzog's shoulders if the team could win on the road at an ORE team on a hot streak. DET's previous backup QB has been besieged by questions about the matchup all week but he insists that he "is just looking forward to competing with another talented roster." The Bandits cooled off after their Bye week but seem to be back on track. The balanced offense does its best work when RB Lillis gets going and frees up space for WR Spradling and TE Weikel.

They may have a tough time against the Vampires though-- the defensive front has been particularly stout against the rush. In addition, ORE's offensive line struggles against elite pass rushers and DET has a couple guys that could be headaches. Rookie DE Stephens in particular has been on a mission to remind the league why he was touted as a top 3 prospect going into the 2059 draft.

WR Von Wyss sprained his knee last week and could see a reduced role in the next two weeks. The Vampires run their offense through their star wideout and will need him to be healthy if they play in week 18. For that reason (mostly), I like the Bandits to cover this week. It could be close but in the end ORE should close it out: 30-24

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2059 Betting Preview - Week 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm 

3/3 we hot!

Offline Profile