It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 am 

7/12 turns into 8/13 after a 1-1 split last week. I'm not sure what's going on with the Vampires, they're making rookie and UDFA QBs look like gods.

On to week 8 and probably the last time we see a few of these teams on the betting previews.

Atlanta (-2) at Texas - Season records don't tell the full story of the Texas Inferno. After 3 forgettable games to start 2061, they played DEN, DVY, FAR, and MIA close. While QB Womble's play is still touch and go, the one two punch of RBs Parker and Boddy has been the difference maker. These two guys have settled in behind this offensive line and quietly become the #1 most efficient ground attack in the CFL. Combined with their contribution in the passing game, you really have some of the most productive running backs in the league. In fact, RB Parker has 8 total TDs on the season, right up there with the best of them.

Atlanta stopped a 3 game skid with a win at Santa Cruz, but it doesn't change the team's prospects for the season. QB Clements could come back in as little as 3 weeks time but with a more conservative estimate at 5 weeks, the Wolfpack's postseason outlook is dim. Still, a win against a division rival here would go a long way and Vegas fancies their chances on the road so what are we looking at? In a loss to MIA, we saw just how talented this group of receivers is-- WRs Reis, Terry, and Terry absolutely popped off against a well coached, but inexperienced secondary. I'd say that the Inferno are closer to the Talons than the Privateers in this area so a repeat performance could be in the cards.

Despite the mismatch, I like TEX here. They should be able to pick up whatever they want on the ground and if you win TOP you'll keep these dangerous receivers off the field. Give me the points with the Inferno: TEX wins 30-22.

Los Angeles at Honolulu (-6) - This game caught my eye as a line that seems a bit too short for the matchup. Let's face it-- the Outlaws aren't very good this season and at 1-5 in the Ring of Fire, they're pretty much done for the year. They haven't covered in but 1 of their games (the lone victory at IWC) and have only beaten Honolulu once since 2058. The team certainly has talented pieces but they're just not fitting well together and I can't find anything here that would make me hesitate from slamming the Sharks -6.

GM RedZone did great in the offseason handling QB Fryday's devastating injury by bringing in QB England. I think a lot of folks were down on him as a player but he has flourished in the Aloha state. This aerial attack tops the charts and their well established rushing game prevents opponents from selling out. Everything looks great in this first half of the season.

However, their opponents have been pretty bad. It's no real knock against the team, after all you can only beat the teams on your schedule, but at the end of the season I'd expect their opponents' record to be no higher than 0.3. We'll just have to see if they carry their regular season success into the playoffs. The Sharks will roll this week and cover easily: 32-20.

Alaska (-4) at Oregon - The Bandits are in a free fall right now and it looks like the front office is pulling the plug on this project. It's a shame to see since the games were close, but 1-6 just won't cut it in this league. I've heard no players are off limits in their effort to retool in the offseason and I can't imagine they'll pick up too many more wins in the second half of the year.

Jimmy and the Kodiaks will enjoy this confidence booster after some heartbreakers against FAR and HON. I haven't looked too closely at their games but it looks like the formula hasn't changed in Alaska: Give the ball to QB Marischen and let him go to work. It should be enough to take the win and put them back in the hunt for a wildcard spot. ALA takes care of business: 33-18.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:10 am 

I guess we came close to fulfilling your prediction but Womble again came up short. Our ground game continues to be very good but we cannot supplement it well enough. Our trend of playing games to the wire continues. I guess that's what happens when you play clock control run-focused offense - you don't get blown out but you never blow anybody out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Quote:
I guess we came close to fulfilling your prediction but Womble again came up short. Our ground game continues to be very good but we cannot supplement it well enough.
I am jealous of how good your run game is... how is Womble still managing to throw that many times? Gotta sit him down and tell him he's not good enough to do what he's tryin to do... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:15 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

Quote:
[quote="BazookaJohnny"

I am jealous of how good your run game is... how is Womble still managing to throw that many times? Gotta sit him down and tell him he's not good enough to do what he's tryin to do... :lol:
McKnight went through a spell like that and it turned out to be me and not him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:36 am 

[quote="BazookaJohnny"

McKnight went through a spell like that and it turned out to be me and not him.[/quote][/quote]
So the "it's not you, it's me" talk. I guess I don't want to give up on letting him throw as he is rated so highly.