It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 am 

1/3 last week (week 12) brings our record to 13/25... Things are looking very grim boys. Took a short break from losing to try and close out this season strong...

Omaha at Baltimore (-2) - With Durham out in front in the Atlantic division, these two teams look to scrap over a wildcard spot. A loss here just about eliminates either team and hopefully we back the right side.

The Bombers manhandled a sliding Boise City last week but splitting their last 6 games does not bode well with their extremely tough remaining schedule. They've put in some dud games on offense-- 205 and 125 total offensive yards against STL and OMA respectively, just 9 points against NOS-- but the defense continues to put in good work. In the earlier encounter with OMA, the Bombers came away with 2 interceptions and one fumble recovery, but absolutely dismal play from QB O'Neill squandered the opportunities. Without WR Rhodes, breakout rookie RB Humphries also wasn't able to generate momentum. Everyone appears to be healthy this week and a balanced attack should prove more successful this time around.

Since beating this team in week 11, the Arrowheads dropped 3 in a row and find themselves fighting for their lives down the stretch. Turnovers cost the team against SEA and DET but the collapse against ALA was a different beast. 13 penalties, two occurring during ALA punts and seven drive killers committed by the offensive line, were clearly the cause. The skill players are still performing at a high level but mental mistakes are hamstringing the team.

OMA has won the last 5 meetings but Vegas has BAL as the betting favorite. The public is on OMA and who can blame them? This pedigree in a must-win game seems like a no brainer. However, the matchups give me some pause. This BAL secondary has the talent to slow WR Dole and the OMA receivers and if DE Hitchcock can find a little more space, all the better for the home team. I'll back the Bombers to string two in a row: 27-20.

Atlanta (-4) at Death Valley - RB Donaldson and the Copperheads were my frontrunners for the San Andreas division but it's been a tough couple of weeks. Dropping 5 of the last 7 has them on the outside looking in but if they clutch up I like their chances. The last three games are certainly winnable.

These two teams met just a few weeks ago and RB Donaldson was held to his lowest rushing production on the season. ATL ranks near the bottom against the run but they loaded the box and never let up chasing Donaldson. CB Traxler took WR Shannon out of the game but DVY couldn't put points on the board despite picking up solid yardage through the air. It was an impressive effort from the Wolfpack, though I wonder if it can be replicated this week.

ATL has made the most of their three bye weeks and come into this division showdown with all the momentum in the world. QB Herr did a fine job in QB Clements' absence but the old gunslinger is back to lead the Wolfpack to the playoffs. It's tough to take anything out of their recent games but I have to highlight just how talented WRs Reis, Terry, and Terry are. NOS, SAO, and LAS aren't trying that hard this season but no DB likes getting torched by their opponents. CB Lauher and S Shaeffer (NOS) , S Ellis (SAO), CBs Schwartz and Barber (LAS) all were put on an island and could not hold on.

RB Donaldson missed last week's game with a hyperextended knee but I expect they'll make every effort to get him on the field this week. They have to win the next three to keep their postseason bid alive and I think they'll do just that. QB Clements looked good last week but I'm always skeptical after a long break. The Copperheads win this one at home: 30-27.

Honolulu (-4) at Las Vegas - Both of these teams are going to be playing in February but a potential bye elevates the stakes for this matchup. This game screams 50/50 so catching points with the defending champs draws my eye.

Both teams enter this week off disappointing losses to KCY and DET but I suspect they were each looking to this game. Thouugh the Rounders offensive line has struggled this season, their form after the week 11 bye is fantastic. Just two sacks given up against CLE (none to FAR or KCY) bodes well for QB McKnight to stand and deliver against HON. RB Gmerek ran all over the Sodbusters too-- something he wasn't able to do in week 10-- and it all stems from the heightened play from this offensive line.

The Vampires defense shone in a surprising upset over the Sharks last week. Disciplined positioning and coverage on the back end meant that chunk plays were kept to a minimum while the linebackers held firm, allowing just 61 yards to RB Gaiter. There weren't any sacks or turnovers but you could see it frustrated the explosive HON offense. A missed extra point was just icing on the cake. I really do think the Sharks were looking past their opponents and will put on a more complete show against the Rounders.

QB England was the difference maker against LVS in week 10, running for a whopping 72 yards and two TDs, but can he do it again? The Rounders are typically able to contain running QBs, recording just 32 scrambles for 214 yards. LB Hargreaves was assigned to QB England but rookie mistakes and missed assignments were costly. Some hours in the film room should fix things nicely so I'm going to take the points with LVS: The champs pull ahead 36-30.