It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:14 am 

10-11 on the season after going 1-2 for week 7. LAS came to play, geez. I thought LVS looked decent but kept running out of steam when they got to the other side of the field. Settling for these long field goals was never going to work even if K Cullors didn't miss! The rookie got the yips and it showed. SCU might be who we thought they were at the beginning of the season-- they really struggled against an ALA team past its prime. They might well win their division if they can bag wins over DVY but a first round exit is all that awaits them.

Meanwhile, the TEX fade got there pretty easily. As long as they keep playing this QB Marsh kid, they're just not a CFL team. Sadly TEX has a BYE this week so the fade record sits at 1-0.

Shreveport at Detroit (-4) - The Vampires took care of business at OHI last week and looked pretty decent doing it. The new OC Cockburn is getting more comfortable with QB DiCosomo airing it out and the offense is starting to stretch the field a bit more. The victory did not come cheap, however, as two key defenders-- DE Hoover and LB Stephens-- got hurt and are expected to miss this week's tilt against SHR.

The Pride enjoyed a two game home stand against two middling teams in TEN and IWC. The Argonauts got out to a hot start but SHR shut them down in the second half. It was a comprehensive win on all fronts for the Pride but they'll need even more to win at DET. Both teams play a similar style and the player matchups will be key.

RB Zhang was in the doghouse this week after fumbling 3 times against TEN but the Pride still dominated on the ground. RBs Russell and Skipper carried the rock a whopping 37 times for 202 yards and embarassed an IWC front that was pretty decent at stopping the run. Anchored by NT Schindlbeck, the Vampires front is one of the very best at forcing teams to throw. But that's only playing into the active and athletic linebackers and FS Cox playing at an elite level and it just doesn't end well for most opponents. Shreveport's veteran defense is a solid unit that focuses on forcing punts after long 3rd downs. QBs Scott and DiCosomo are settling into a game manager role but both will have to make plays this week to win.

The Pride are a tough team to play at home in the Swamp but they can be beat on the road. The home team won the last 5 times these two teams played. Of course these were different times and different teams but it certainly looks like a trend. DET has been playing well but I think it's still too early to hang a -4 against an elite franchise like the Pride. The Vampires win a close one but SHR covers: 24-21.

El Paso (-6) at Honolulu - Injuries are the great equalizer in the CFL. The high flying Rockets from the beginning of the season is long gone and they were lucky to survive a fourth quarter scare against the Toros last week. They could still be without QB Sullivan this week which makes this a very intriguing bet. These last few weeks have been excruciating for the El Paso faithful-- losing three games by 1, 3, and 1-- and with one of the toughest schedules coming up, it'll get worse before it gets better.

After a transcendent 2061 campaign, QB England's honeymoon period is well and truly over in Honolulu. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going wrong. RBs Gaiter and Murray have taken a step back in efficiency and usage. QB England isn't connecting with WRs McCreadie and Keith at quite the same clip. The Sharks offense is struggling to even visit the red zone: just 9 visits, only one better than dismal TUC, ORE, and ACI offenses! Their defense has been keeping the scorelines close but they will need to put a few more points on the board to get this season back on track.

QB Sullivan is questionable to play but even if he does suit up, I like HON to pick up the win this week. They've been solid against the run and RB Barker looks to feature prominently with the ELP quarterbacking situation the way it is. The Rockets will also likely miss C Dar Dar and G Gerhardt which stresses their chances even more. Give me HON: 27-17.

Kansas City at New Orleans (-1) - The Voodoos look good, solid even. They're a young team chock full of talent and an experienced QB that knows how to win. The coaching staff has done a good job keeping mistakes to a minimum and they're the odds on favorite to win the division despite a loss to rival SHR.

KCY's high volume passing attack has been pretty good at picking up yards but points are a bit harder to come by. Opponents are content to sell out to cover WRs Padron and Elder and let RB Mansour and rookie TE Dial make up the rest. It's a good strategy if you don't have the personnel in your secondary to keep up... but New Orleans does. By my estimation, they just might be the only team able to cover KCY's receivers mano a mano. If the Storm can't overload opponents on that side, what do they have?

The Voodoos rewarded my faith last week and I'm going to take them again this week. I can understand why some bettors would rather back the experienced Grueneich and a more established team but they've shown disturbing inconsistencies against all levels of competition. TE Dial is an explosive talent that could well be the difference maker but the Voodoos should be able to slow him down whether they put a LB or DB on him. NOS wins and covers at home: 33-27.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:21 pm 

I don’t like that pick, Z..

El Paso Rockets (2057-2062)
NC East 2061
53-44-1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:58 pm 

Quote:
I don’t like that pick, Z..
it's a "what have you done for me lately" business...