It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Deep South Division
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm 

[ba31de1b]San Antonino Stingers 2017: 11-5[/ba31de1b]

The Stingers had 7 picks this year, but did not get their first one until near the end of the second round. DT [player]Karl Calavicci[/player] was their first pick and should be a slight improvement for them as the 2nd DT in their 4-3. Then they selected WR [player]Bill Ortmeier[/player] also in the 2nd round, Bill looks to be a decent wide out and will be their 3rd option for a year or two before stepping into the number 2 role. T [player]Teddy Chanthavong[/player], a 5th round pick, could end up starting for San Antonino but is best suited as a backup. He has great footwork, but does not have the strength to be on the field play after play and not get beat.

[ba31de1b]Grade: C ~ Did not have high picks to make an impact, but did nothing more then average with the ones they did have.[/ba31de1b]

[ba31de1b]New Orleans Raging Horde 2017: 10-6[/ba31de1b]

New Orleans had 11 picks, but don't let that fool you. The first extra pick they had came in the 6th round, and through the first 5 rounds they picked next to last. LB [player]Justin Craig[/player] was the Horde's first pick. Justin, sources from more then just one CFL front office, would be an absolute beast at middle linebacker in a 4-3. I thought so going into this draft, and have heard that sentiment echoed by many in the business. Now, if Justin stays outside, he will be competent, but not nearly the impact player he could be. It is too late for that this season, as he would need to go through camp at that spot to learn all of the ins and outs of the position. I like Justin, but I'd like him more if he moved inside. T [player]Frank Siavii[/player] is an average tackle with above average strength which means he is not a bad option at RT this late in the 2nd round. RB [player]Mickey Carley[/player] out of the 6th round was a great value here and should be a nice change of pace back to give the starter a breather, but I would not ask more of him. That is still very good for a 6th though.

[ba31de1b]Grade: B- ~ Justin will do well in this league, and Frank will improve the right side of that line.[/ba31de1b]

[ba31de1b]Shreveport Pride 2017: 7-9[/ba31de1b]

The Pride had six picks in this draft only missing their 6th rounder. [player]Carlton Newsome[/player] will be a solid cover corner, one of the best in the league. TE [player]Broderick Grigsby[/player] is another solid player who will step in as a starter and contributor. Shreveport allowed the most yards per catch in 2017 with 12.76 as well as most per attempt at 8.77 (almost a full yard worse then the next worst team MEM @ 7.82), Carlton should make them much better at that this year.

[ba31de1b]Grade: A- ~ Quality without having to move up, they had good talent come to them and took advantage of it.[/ba31de1b]

[ba31de1b]Memphis Express 2017: 2-14[/ba31de1b]

Memphis had 8 draft picks this year with 4 out of the first 70 selections. The Express was 30th out of the 32 CFL teams last season in yards per carry and looked to improve that with 2nd overall pick RB [player]Marvin Barton[/player]. Marvin can look good one play and look ugly for the next 3, he is a roller coaster that has brought on more ulcer's then former coaches can count. But, Memphis also needs to sure up the middle of the line to help out any running back as the guards are not of quality in Memphis. QB [player]Jermaine Milburn[/player] looks at best to be a backup in the CFL, and not something you want from a nearly first round pick. LB [player]Henry Money[/player] is very solid against the run, but not much else.

[ba31de1b]Grade: D+ ~ Milburn to me was a wasted pick, and Marvin is to unpredictable for me to give high marks for even though a lot of owners and GMs in this league thought highly of him.[/ba31de1b]

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]