It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:02 am 

2-0 picking the playoffs so far... let's keep things rolling. There are two interesting underdogs this week:

Durham (-1) at Omaha - The Bulldogs thoroughly outplayed the Pride last week. QB Scott being a late scratch really killed any chance that Shreveport had, but Durham did also play very well. What stood out to me was the usage (and productivity) of WR Spradling. Everyone knows he's a fantastic receiver but he really trailed off in the second half of the season-- 586 yards on 34 catches in the first 8 games, 306 yards on 28 catches in the last 8. It could be that WR Hindman's injury changed how the Bulldogs tried to use WR Spradling but now that everyone's healthy and back in the rotation we are seeing that elite talent break open double teams and take short slants to the house. QB Ortiz also looked much more comfortable in the pocket as the DUR offensive line neutered a decent pass rush and he was able to pick apart a SHR secondary that held him to just 93 passing yards back in week 13.

This week's opponent will be much tougher. GM JJSmitty made a deal with the devil to quit losing to Durham and it looks to have worked. QB Womble and the Arrowheads dropped a 50-burger on the Bulldogs for the first time in franchise history in week 9 and ended the 8 game losing streak. They lost in week 17 but by then, OMA had the bye locked up and opted to rest starters and even so DUR needed a 10 play 75 yard drive to complete the comeback. Omaha's offense is so loaded with talent it doesn't make sense. QB Womble and WR Dole space the field out so much that this backfield duo of RBs Ashworth and Johnstone are each cresting the 1,000 yard mark. Should DUR choose to stack the box, well, WRs Dole and Stone will feast.

Both teams have extremely stacked offenses and it'll be up to their defenses to win this game. To me, LB Garibay and OMA have the edge. We're hearing reports that DE Paton may miss this game due to personal issues but DE Thomas looks to be the next man up and isn't a significant downgrade. This line should be flipped so catching the well-rested Arrowheads with a point is a no-brainer: OMA cruises to a 34-21 victory.

El Paso at Alaska (-5) - I was more than a little worried when I read the weather report in Fargo and it called for temperatures in the single digits and significant snowfall, but the Rockets were certainly prepared to play in those conditions. They emphasized spreading the ball around, executing well in the air and on the ground, but turnovers were the key factor (as they were with each of the other WC games). I said in my preview that Fargo struggled protecting the ball at times and that was certainly the case this week. Three turnovers and one missed FG ended the Sodbusters' bid for a title defense.

This week's game won't be subject to inclement weather but the Kodiaks promise a tougher challenge as they look for QB Marischen's third ring. After several years of being an elite aerial attack with middling rushers and defense, the Kodiaks struck gold with recent draft selections. Rookie RB Harden is the first ALA rusher with over 1,200 yards since 2052 and the current franchise record holder for carries, rushing yards, yards per carry, and yards from scrimmage in a season. A full four offensive linemen have 5 or fewer years of experience and six starters on the defense have 3 years or fewer. Youth has propelled ALA's ground game and defense to elite levels while decades of shared experience maintain the threat of the aerial attack.

In my eyes, this is another even matchup that either team could win. We can see that the week 3 matchup between these two could've gone either way and I suspect both teams will have addressed issues from that replay. I always like the Rockets catching points and I think they'll cover this week as long as QB Sullivan can improve his short passing. FAR did a great job of taking that away but ELP will need to find holes as ALA have been excellent against the medium and deep pass. ALA wins in a close one: 24-21.

Detroit at Kansas City (-3) - KCY really turned the tables on DET this season but the matchups have been reasonably close. I like what the Vampires did against Brooklyn and think they could win pretty easily if they shut down the Storm's most prolific receivers. If KCY get out to an early lead, however, the Vampires probably won't be able to catch up if they lose control over the game script. Still, I favor Detroit to win a matchup that has historically gone their way: DET 27-26.

Las Vegas at Los Angeles (-2) - LVS looked pretty bad for most of their game against SCU but halftime adjustments got both sides of the ball moving. They will need to tighten up on turnovers against an Outlaws team that aren't themselves vulnerable on that front. LAS will still be without starting DE Hsu while the illness going through the LVS locker room should have subsided but the rest should give LAS the edge this week. I like them to win and cover in what could be a rout: 31-17.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:30 am 

The Cox vs. Grueneich match-up is key...

Joined in 2057

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:41 pm 
Durham Bulldogs

I agree. We have no chance. Especially thanks to a dumb ass trade that put an 80 rated QB on Omaha's roster.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:18 am 
Omaha Arrowheads

Quote:
I agree. We have no chance.
No Chance, lol you are funny Steel. I just hope to have a chance to compete with you guys, we are 1 and 8 against Durham in the past 9 games.

I'm really not sure why Zen has us winning, I think it will be very close, 21-17 type game. I mean the game has us a 1 point dawg at home in the playoffs so Zen is very wrong here.
Quote:
Especially thanks to a dumb ass trade that put an 80 rated QB on Omaha's roster.
Haha Steel, I love how you keep mentioning Womble as a stupid trade and shouldn't have happened but the guy hasn't won shit and was injured at the end of the season. Plus, you have been whipping my ass so I had to do something, I figured you would have had respected the move so I would actually be able to compete. Oh well, here's to a good game and good luck to you Steel.

I love the Durham/Omaha Rivalry, always so much Drama.

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:12 am 

Vegas doesn't always win, you know that... sometimes the square dog wins easily :smt004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:59 am 

rocketpower....

let's go....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:29 pm 
Durham Bulldogs

Quote:

No Chance, lol you are funny Steel. I just hope to have a chance to compete with you guys, we are 1 and 8 against Durham in the past 9 games.

I'm really not sure why Zen has us winning, I think it will be very close, 21-17 type game. I mean the game has us a 1 point dawg at home in the playoffs so Zen is very wrong here.

Haha Steel, I love how you keep mentioning Womble as a stupid trade and shouldn't have happened but the guy hasn't won shit and was injured at the end of the season. Plus, you have been whipping my ass so I had to do something, I figured you would have had respected the move so I would actually be able to compete. Oh well, here's to a good game and good luck to you Steel.

I love the Durham/Omaha Rivalry, always so much Drama.
You acquiring Womble and wanting to get better isn't the issue. It's the GM who traded him to you. Saying he was ready to rebuild his whole team, then spent millions of dollars in free agency the same off-season. No planning involved, whatsoever. You never trade an 80 rated QB in his prime, unless you have a comparable player to step in his place. They didn't. Moving players that highly rated with no one to replace them should't be allowed. It goes to trying not to compete. None of those picks he got in return will equal an 80 rated QB. No team gets better by trading away an 80 rated QB. Period.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:59 pm 
Omaha Arrowheads

Good luck tomorrow Steel, hopefully the trade will be worth it.

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047