It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:20 am 

I think we're officially on a heater, folks. This 3-0 sweep brings us to 8-1 on the season.

Detroit looked not so good this week. Hartford jumped to an early lead, stopped the run, and pressured QB DiCosomo. They made it look easy.

Alaska completely dismantled Santa Cruz-- the Privateers probably should've run the ball a bit more once they saw how bad this passing offense was without WR Sanderson. ALA's RB Harden shook off the rust and had just two bad runs. This Kodiaks team looks scary while he pounds the rock.

As I predicted, Death Valley's QB Buckley made some dumb mistakes and gave Philly the win. The first quarter was a comprehensive win for DVY but everything changed as soon as he threw that pick. I don't know how the team isn't roasting the guy each time...

On to this week's games:
Los Angeles at Texas (-1) - The Outlaws picked a good time to get right. Starting a season 0-2 after finishing 12-4 just last year had the fanbase calling for blood but a nice road win against FAR was a stay of execution. However, QB Bailey continues to struggle and just about every passing metric for the team is down. I'll have to watch this team more carefully to figure out what's going on but I have two theories:
1) TE Covington's departure appears to have shifted responsibilities with this receiving corps and WRs Campbell and Massa have both suffered.
2) RB West getting the majority of the snaps in the backfield is actually bad for the team-- he may be a slightly better ball carrier than the older RB Johnson but his pass protection is much worse.

LAS shouldn't have any problems with their opponent this week though. TEX hasn't had a winning season since 2055 and I don't think they'll start now. Last year I called them the worst team in the CFL and I still stand by that. The Inferno could've locked up the first overall pick but the front office decided to win 4 pointless games. I'm all for competition and appreciate the effort but if I were one of the handful of fans left, I'd be pissed. Just imagine this team with a studly running back like RB Johnston or generational defensive lineman like DT Abdul-Malik.

QB Marsh looks... a little better this year. The team continues to run the ball well and probably could be an 8-8 team this season but management still wants to throw the ball. I don't know, they're just a team that isn't playing to its strengths and that's on the front office.

Texas should (almost) never be a favorite in this league. I don't care where they play, who's hurt, who's playing... the Inferno isn't good. Despite QB Bailey's inconsistencies, Outlaws win 27-17.

Atlantic City at New Orleans (-6) - The league got its first taste of QB Frederick when QB Atcherson went down with a high ankle sprain. ACI was up 7-3 and managed to hold on to win in overtime. But uh... that's really all I have to say about that game. Their future franchise QB looks about as bad as a rookie can look. The team is deep in the rebuild and just holding on until next year.

New Orleans, on the other hand, is a team on the come-up. Yeah, they lost at Shreveport, but the Swamp is one of the hardest places to play. They looked much more like the team we all expected as they smashed LAS and DUR. The Voodoos had a shot with QB Fryday last season but the wheels came off. The front office decided to roll with the younger QB Reid and the gamble is looking good. GM BGBob caught flak after trading QB Graham and RB Mueller back in 2059 but after just two losing seasons (last year's squad had a chance at winning the division!), the Voodoos look formidable. They're bursting at the seams with young talent. Half the team's starters are still on rookie deals and they're hanging 36 on the Bulldogs!

The team is obviously rough around the edges but they're an explosive unit that doesn't play scared. The talent and trajectory of the team is leaps and bounds above where Atlantic City sits and I can't believe the spread is only at 6. I'll lay the points with a far superior team: NOS wins 30-10.

Seattle at Denver (-6) - Atlanta almost let last week's contest slip as Seattle stormed back with 21 unanswered points. CB Carpenter's interception lit a fire under the Spartans and the legs of QB Emmons and RB Rodriguez got them to an even 31-31 score but they just ran out of time. Now the team is 0-3 looking for answers. The first thing has to be this defense; they are hemorrhaging yardage. I understand the team's emphasis is that run and gun offense but opponents are moving the ball pretty easily against SEA. They lack size in the middle to stop the run and talent in the secondary to slow the pass. FS Strickland, RCB Cooley, CB Carpenter... these aren't scary names so the Spartans can't be relying on vanilla coverages and schemes. The offense showed signs of life-- they need the same from the other side.

Now for the surprise of the season: Denver sits 3-0 atop the Cavalry division after wins against STL and FAR. The casual observer might point out QB Dole's improved play and yes, that is one part of the equation. The other, more correct answer, is the resurgence of RB Eagleton. The fifth year veteran was a highly regarded prospect and played well his first two seasons with the team but it was clear that he wasn't being used properly. Now behind a revamped offensive line with greater usage in the passing game, Denver has unleashed a monster. We all knew he was a dynamic runner in space but he is on pace to set a new yards from scrimmage record. Yes we're just three games in but I'm excited to see what the man can do now that ownership has seen the light.

I worry a bit for this defense though. Many starters are getting old: 5 with 10+ years and another 3 with at least 8. They aren't getting pressure and they aren't winning in coverage. Takeaways have been the edge and inconsistent by their nature. A desperate Seattle is good enough to put up points on this Denver defense and I like them to cover. Winning at Mile High is tough though so I'll call it a DEN win: 36-33.