It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:01 pm 

We're 15-11-1 now entering the home stretch. Hopefully this week gives us more of a cushion in our bankroll...

Detroit at Kansas City (-10) - Detroit's had a tough season. While many of last season's pieces returned, efficiency dropped across the board. The power run game has been reduced to under 4 yards per carry. QB DiCosomo is struggling to connect with receivers (last week he completed just one pass in the first half!) and when he does hit them between the numbers, the balls get dropped. The offensive line is struggling in pass protection despite the team's addition of Manumaleuma and moving LG Duran to the right side. The defense is doing about as well as last season though they are having to play a lot more with the quick three and outs the offense puts together. The Vampires have problems up and down the roster but they have to go perfect on the remainder of the season to contest a wildcard spot.

Kansas City, on the other hand, is poised to make a repeat their championship appearance. QB Grueneich orchestrates the offense as efficiently as ever and the team continues to top most passing metrics. As good as they've been, it's the defense that is really coming through. We saw bits and pieces of it in the playoffs when KCY shut down DET and OMA in the second half but now they're doing it off the jump. Sophomore DE Noa has been terrorizing offensive lines with impeccable technique and a nose for the ball. DE Emerson, at 32, is having one of his best seasons too. CB Irwin, the league's Honey Badger, is also hitting his stride. Lauded rookie DT Johnston hasn't gotten too many snaps but he looks like he could be a strong contributor relatively quickly.

It's hard to look at this matchup and not think Kansas City all the way. They swept Detroit 3-0 last season and the team's fortunes are completely opposite of their division rival. However, the two teams know each other and usually play tough. Given what's at stake for the Vampires, I would expect a no holds barred slugfest. Take the points with Detroit-- they probably won't win but they'll keep it within 10: KCY wins 27-20.

Tucson at Los Angeles (-1) - Tucson rattled off some nice wins before Honolulu sent them crashing back to Earth. QB Fryday made plays with his legs looking like the Fryday of old for a stretch but the decisiveness disappeared last week. Rookie WR Lincoln has emerged as his top target but the inexperience and lack of chemistry is handicapping the offense. The team finds themselves in the thick of the playoff race but doesn't do anything particularly well. It's not surprising with so many young players and it's tough to know what to expect week to week.

Los Angeles, just one game back, finds themselves in a similar situation. The Outlaws have split their last 8 games and it's anyone's guess which team will show up. They win close games against good teams and lose blowouts against bad ones. While the gunslinger could be blamed here, I would also point at one of the league's worst rushing offenses as a culprit. If you play fantasy football, you know that none of the running backs on this team should be rostered and most of the Outlaws aren't startable in a 10 team league. It's a tough look for the storied franchise but key pieces are getting older and time is running out.

This is not an easy game to handicap but I think Tucson has an edge here. The defensive front of Los Angeles is one that needs to put pressure on QBs for their secondary to not get completely exposed. QB Fryday is still one of the most elusive QBs in the league and extending plays will be hell on the Outlaws. As for the rest, the youth on the Toros should fare well against the aging veterans on the other side. I'll take Tucson to pick up this game on the road: 33-30.

Atlanta (-2) at Death Valley - Atlanta is stacked this year. They've lost a couple close games but never looked out of any contest. Death Valley has bizarrely chosen to ride RB Lafrance over the fantastic RB Donaldson. Why pay the man $40M and not use him? The team's press releases don't give any explanation and the players themselves are too classy to say anything to the media. It's working a bit, I guess, but I think this 5-4 record is deceptive. DVY doesn't look like a contender without RB Donaldson and I'll lay the points with the Firebirds here: ATL wins and covers 27-14.