It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Thunderbirds Get Fir
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:33 am 

[bd2d8bb0]Seattle(AP)[/bd2d8bb0] - On Seattle's opening drive of the second half, traling 13-0, rookie wide reciever Donnie Stahl lined up in the slot. At the snap, he ran an out and up pattern, leaving the nickelback behind with a double move on his way up the sideline. Francis Burch heaved the ball towards him and the rookie hauled it in for a 49 yard touchdown.

"I told (Burch) in the huddle that if we run the out and up I'd be open for six," the confident rookie said. "It's early for me and I'm still getting used to the speed of the game, but we saw in the first half that they were rolling safety help to Cole's side of the field, trying to take him away. You gotta make plays, man. Especially when you get opportunities like those."

The Unknown seemed leary to let Faison run free in their secondary after a blown coverage matched him up with willie backer Mikel Bussard early in the second quarter. Thirty-five yards later, Bussard pulled Faison down at the Anchorage forty yard-line. From that moment on, the Thunderbirds most prolific receiver found himself shadowed by a corner and a safety on nearly every down.

Jump to the fourth quarter. With twelve minutes left on the clock, rookie running back Donny Kramer took the hand-off from Burch at the Anchorage three. Center Corey Fulbright pulled and led him around the left side of the Thunderbird line. One crushing block later, the 5 foot 6 inch Kramer waltzed into the corner of the endzone with his first CFL touchdown. The Thunderbirds had the lead, 17-13.

On the ensuing Anchorage possession, Ernest Cobb, Seattle's first round draft choice, made an excellent
break on a deep pass by Rodney Darr, ripping it away from wideout Derrick Schwartz. The Thunderbirds were coming up large against the division leaders. Rookies were leading the way. Just what was going on here exactly?

At that point, when it seemed like nothing could go wrong, Francis Burch began to break down. The first play from scrimmage for the 'Birds was a ten yard hitch to Faison. Burch stepped up in the pocket and flung the ball his way. It sailed. Badly. Picked off at the Seattle 35. Seven plays later, Seattle's lead was down to one point. On the second play from scrimmage after getting the ball back, Burch locked on Faison coming out of his break. Free safety Marcos Garcia knifed in front of the waiting receiver and took the ball all the way to the house. Touchdown Anchorage. 22-17 Unknown. The very next series, Anchorage end Casey Bousquet bull rushed his way into Burch's face, crumpling runningback Joseph Gallego into the side of the quarterback's knee. Newly acquired Leon Turner came on to replace the downed signal caller.

"We didn't know what to expect really when Leon came in the game," said Faison. "He played well in relief last time, but that was during garbage time. We were in this game. We wanted to know how he would do. He responded."

Well, not right away. Turner's first pass was ten yards beyond his receiver when it finally hit the turf. Give the guy a break, though. It's the only incomplete pass he threw all day. After the Thunderbirds exchanged punts with the Unknown, Turner led the offense back onto the field. Of the next four plays, three were passes. Turner completed them all, the last one going for thirteen yards and a touchdown. Paris Kimmel slammed in the two point conversion, and the Thunderbirds were back on top, 25-22.

"At that point, as a defense, we have to take control of the game," said Richard Suazo. "We had been lacking a bit in the past. When Leon came off the field, I told him 'We're going to win this one for you, bud.'"

Suazo might as well have said 'I'. On a second and eight from the Seattle twenty-three with 1:13 left on the clock, the buck linebacker dropped into coverage on a fire-zone defense. He caught sight of the curl route and stepped in front of Darr's pass. Eighty-eight yards later, the linebacker collapsed in the endzone. Game over.

Seattle rookies made three game-changing plays Sunday afternoon. Not a bad day for the class of 2005. Management hopes this is a sign of things to come. It is a happy time in Seattle. Clouds are gathering quickly, however. Burch tried to downplay his knee injury after the game, claiming he'd be fine for next week's matchup with Huntington Beach. Team officials, however, are saying that he has patellar damage and is not likely to play. Leon Turner may have earned a shot at the job with his last three passes. Rumor has it that the team might consider going with him this week and then evaluate both players during the off week that follows. Whatever happens, it appears we have a story developing here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:35 am 

Whoops...I didn't realize the article was [b1cf1b59]that[/b1cf1b59] long. I guess that's why you should pay attention to how much screen your preview takes up. Sorry about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:38 am 
Shreveport Pride

[quote46b3fd0="Aylmar"]Whoops...I didn't realize the article was [b46b3fd0]that[/b46b3fd0] long. I guess that's why you should pay attention to how much screen your preview takes up. Sorry about that...[/quote46b3fd0]

Lol! It was a good read though.

It's good to hear that Suazo is doing well for the 'Birds.

Eastern Conference Champions
2009, 2031, 2055
CFL Champions
2031, 2055
Hall of Fame
Joshua Mask, Douglas Hartman, Carl Bradford, Leland Wellins, Wally Wooden (#80), Brantley Gilmore (#9)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:58 am 

[quote93ac658]It's good to hear that Suazo is doing well for the 'Birds.[/quote93ac658]

He is doing very well. I've been trying to portray Richard as a defensive leader on the team in my 'season story' about Burch. Well, quarterback in general. So far, the game engine has been helping me out with decent numbers for me to weave into articles. We'll see if that continues...

Thanks for the compliment, by the way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:18 am 
Detroit Vampires

Congratulations on your first CFL win!

And nice article, keep the contributions coming!!!