It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Boston and Santa Cru
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:47 am 
Legendary Former Owner

In the second week of free agency, the Boston and Santa Cruz pulled off what looks to be the biggest trade of the offseason.

Boston MVP [bc314aee]RB William Sheehan[/bc314aee] and Santa Cruz's monster Defensive End [bc314aee]Ralph Crank[/bc314aee] traded places. Both players were designated as their team's franchise players in the offseason, and so their new clubs will have to negotiate new contracts.

The news comes as a shock to the Boston area, where [bc314aee]Sheehan[/bc314aee] was considered possibly the most vital part of the team.

"We had a lot of trouble in contract talks with William" said GM flere-imsaho in the team's press conference. "In the end it didn't look likely that we would be able to come to an agreement on terms that would satisfy him and not seriously compromise our cap structure."

With the acquisition of [bc314aee]DE Ralph Crank[/bc314aee], Boston has addressed the biggest problem with what was otherwise a decent defensive unit last year: pass rush.

"Ralph is a complete player", said GM flere-imsaho, while introducing the new player, "and I know he will have an immediate impact. We are very happy to have him aboard and we'll be working hard with him and his agent to sign him to a good contract."

"I'm excited to be in Boston, and can't wait to get started" said Crank. "There are a lot of good guys on D here, and I'm sure I can add a lot to the Line."

The trade highlights the changes GM flere-imsaho has been making this offseason to address concerns on the Defensive Line. Already [bc314aee]Willie Meyers[/bc314aee] has been moved inside to Defensive Tackle, while [bc314aee]Lawrence Hiatt[/bc314aee] and [bc314aee]Kirk Anelli[/bc314aee] have moved outside to Defensive End.

The addition of [bc314aee]Ralph Crank[/bc314aee], in fact, causes a bit of a pileup at Defensive End, with Position Leader [bc314aee]Dan Saavedra[/bc314aee] also in the mix. [bc314aee]Saavedra[/bc314aee], in the final year of his contract, has not been offered a new contract, so there is speculation that he will be on the way out, but that is difficult to confirm.

The loss of [bc314aee]RB William Sheehan[/bc314aee] leaves a gaping hole in Boston's backfield. A run-heavy team last year, with an All-Pro Offensive Line geared around running the ball, it's unclear what GM flere-imsaho has in mind. Rumors out of Boston indicate that [bc314aee]FB Otis Austin[/bc314aee] may be moved to tailback, but other rumors abound about trade action. One possibility is Tampa Bay [bc314aee]RB Elias Alvey[/bc314aee].

All in all, it continues to be an interesting offseason for Boston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:43 pm 

nice...I'm so glad so many GM's get a kick out of this part of the game