It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 am 

Dear God, was TEX the single worst offensive showing in history? Apologies to all the degenerates who put money on this absolute dogwater squad. We will be fading the Inferno for the rest of the season as a standing week in and week out bet (though I will be keeping track of this one separately). The other two bets should've gone our way... BRK really had it in the bag but that fourth quarter QB Ortiz magic took over... Unlucky. 9-9 through 6 weeks is... not great, but at least we aren't losing. Well, other than the vig.

Boise City (-11) at Texas - Fade the Inferno every week boys, I've seen enough. I'd take it all the way up to -14. Yes, BCI has a rookie QB and some aging pieces but... yeah. It shouldn't be close.

New Orleans (-1) at San Antonio - QB Fryday is this season's comeback player and it's not even close. This dude is coming off a complete knee rebuild into an essentially brand new roster and is lighting the league up. I'm glad the first rookie to win a CFL Bowl in a long time was able to bounce back from that horrific injury and it's a testament to modern medical science that we can even have that.

The Voodoo's 4-2 record is impressive but they only lost those two by 4 points combined... and they were leading SHR for three quarters! Though the season is headlined by QB Fryday, there aren't really any weak spots in their play. The secondary is excellent, it's tough to run against them, their offensive line is one of the very best, and QB Fryday's scrambling threat frees up RB Tatum to do his thing. Barring any setbacks, the next few weeks could be all they need to hit peak form.

San Antonio played a solid three quarters last week in Detroit but got hit by a truck once that fourth quarter started. QB Logan looked generally good but much of their passing yards came from crazy catches and individual effort. TE Lane's 58 yard catch and run comes to mind but WR Gunn's 41 yard leaping grab over a perfectly positioned CB Anthony is also tough to replicate. The Stingers didn't run the ball very often but got some good yardage when they did. I suspect GM hbcook86 will try to rein in the number of times his QB throws the ball because 5 INTs is just not it.

This line seems a bit too cheap for a scorching hot Voodoos team. Yes, there's inexperience and rough looks on both sides but QB Fryday and the gang should win and cover. NOS wins this one: 32-24.

Las Vegas at Los Angeles (-7) - I don't understand this line at all... sure LAS is 4-2 but both squads fell cheaply to the Sodbusters and dropped another to weaker squads in SCU (the jury is still out on this one, but I think I can safely say that at this point in the season) and DEN.

LVS isn't the defensive juggernaut they once were but sacks and pressures will come. DE Brock missed some time but is fully healthy now. In the meantime, the team is leaning heavily on QB McKnight. It worked well the first three weeks but recently struggled against teams that could cover receivers running short routes on third down. The BYE should help the Rounders collect their mojo and once the pass rush gets right, the rest will follow.

The Outlaws surprised me against ELP and came back to Earth last week against FAR. That's more of what I expected out of the team-- poor running and inefficient passing. I have no idea why WR Campbell got 15 targets when FAR was taking him out of the game and WR Massa and WR Leighton were plenty open. QB Bailey was fixated on him all day. That may work against a worse secondary but if he's pressured, his first option might not be the best one.

All that being said, this -7 spread is just out of control. The Rounders could well lose this week but are they going to get blown out? I can't see it. Give me LVS and the points, though I predict an outright win: 33-27.

Alaska at Santa Cruz (-4) - Last week was a tough loss for the Kodiaks who saw one of the worst performances in QB Marischen's long career. 56% completion rate and 3 INTs wasn't going to cut it against a competent SEA team. Rookie RB Harden continued his good production and is creeping his way to the top of the OROY discussion. We've seen several retirement scares from Jimmy and it may not be long before he passes the baton to Angel.

The Privateers are this season's beneficiary of a weak San Andreas division and boast some incredible metrics as a result. 1st in ypc allowed (2.78 ), 1st in points allowed (9.8 ), 1st in total yards allowed (279.4). They rank somewhere in the top 10 offensively but it's hard to say if these numbers will hold up against higher quality opponents. SCU's talent is clearly there but I think their performance against BAL is closer to reality than these double digit blowouts.

I think this will be a defensive slugfest-- I do like SCU's secondary to keep QB Marischen in check. WR Jennings, Russell, and Grauer don't look nearly as deadly as they did in years past and the two rookies are getting involved just as much. RB Harden could have a harder time of things too-- SCU's linebacking duo of Meier and Finch are as active as any at coming down and stuffing gaps. ALA's recent investments in their defense are also showing results, though. DEs Thompson and McConnell threaten to collapse pockets quickly. CBs Hertz and Lincoln are no slouches but they'll need help from the pass rush to contain WRs Sanderson and Yates.

I have to give the edge to experience here... QB Marischen knows how to win and if things are still close into the later stages of the game, the Kodiaks should be able to squeak one out here. That said, QB Darusmont has yet to throw an interception or make any particularly bad mistakes... so I won't take ALA to win outright but +4 seems just fine to me. The home team probably wins but ALA definitely covers: SCU 24-21.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:28 am 

Featured twice already this season! I'm honored. Absolutely will be tested this week as Alaska has a hell of a team. Players need to put on their big boy pants.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:58 am 

Hope your right. Feel really good where we are at right now.

Thanks for the write up !!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:31 am 

Well, even when we are picked to beat a winless team we cannot manage it. Marsh is really struggling and I'm not sure if I should just let him rest on the bench for fear of breaking him.