It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:31 pm 

An ugly week 8 in the books. We go to 12-8-1 after LAS and HAR really shit the bed on the road. This week we look at some teams that are on the wildcard bubble.

St. Louis (-2) at Iowa City - The first game this week pits two teams that, looking at recent form, are going in completely opposite directions. IWC has won 4 of their last 5 while St. Louis has lost three straight. And yet the visitors are hanging points... what gives?

St. Louis started the season real strong, taking out OMA, BOS, and BAL. After losing RB Perkins to turf toe, however, they haven't looked nearly as good. In his absence, his touches carries have gone to RB Jefferson. The 30 year old veteran isn't as explosive or powerful, but he's done a fine job. I think there's something deeper at issue here. RB Rogers, who is averaging 3.5 yards per carry in those losing efforts, has not been the same. The defense fell cheaply against DET and OMA, allowing each team whatever they wanted. QB Joyner threw 4 of his 5 interceptions in just two games against OHI and DET. Despite falling apart in the middle of the season, they find themselves in the thick of the playoff race.

Iowa City, on the other hand, has found a spark behind youngsters LB Francois and NT Hanks. They've been shutting opponents down in the trenches (a hallmark of most of the Great Lakes teams) and have found ways to put points on the board without any special offensive production. The defense is surprisingly disciplined for having young stars at pivotal positions and I've seen them really improve their coordination in a few short weeks. One interesting thing to note-- this team runs 3 deep more than most teams would and blitzes a little less often than you would think. I don't know if it's a personnel decision or if it was tailored for their schedule but it's been working well.

I can't see this STL team laying points right now. IWC is a fine team that can take advantage of a struggling Silverbacks and should win, nevermind cover: The Argonauts win their fourth straight, 24-14.

Seattle (-2) at Miami - We look to feature two more middling rosters vying for a playoff berth-- the Spartans are another suspicious favorite this week. Despite a resounding 25 point win over the Sodbusters in week 7, I don't trust the visitors laying points.

Seattle finally got one in the win column after close losses to ATL and PHI against BOI in week 6. While both teams played football, it was two missed FGs and a lost fumble in their own red zone that gave SEA the victory. QB Emmons set a career record with 5 passing TDs against FAR the next week, but again it seemed like a game that Fargo was not particularly interested in winning. Rookie WR Asimov has been getting better (catching two TDs against FAR) while LB Woodworth and C Meier are also starting to see the field. It's just not a particularly exciting lineup and the consistency has to improve if they're to turn the season around.

Miami could use a pick-me-up after a tough loss against their rivals in Fargo. QB Hughes has been playing really well these last few weeks with veteran WR Keeler and TE Kimsey putting up big numbers. The team's defense hasn't skipped a beat after DE Miyabuchi and DT Wilkins retired this offseason and t he secondary continues to be one of the most disruptive units in the league. The offense has often been criticized but I favor their odds if they can keep up this pace.

This matchup seems to favor Miami pretty heavily-- CBs Eastman and Gillespie have the speed to keep up with WRs Hartsock and Wojdylo while the same can't really be said for SEA's DBs. TE Kimsey is going to feast as long as QB Hughes is protected behind backup RG Styles. Give me the Talons, catching the points, to win straight up: 28-24.

Texas at Las Vegas (-2) - No writeup for this one but it's pretty self explanatory. QB McKnight is back and he's going to dunk on poor QB Marsh and the Inferno. LVS wins: 30-21.