It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:28 pm 

Well... not the best week. We go 1-2 and sit 16-13-1. The profits are dwindling... I have to applaud DVY for going back to RB Donaldson. Even though he didn't have the best stats, the opponents were cheating against the run whenever he was on the field.

Tucson at New Orleans (-5) - One of the more interesting games this week pits two owners with significant history against one another. More specifically, a father and his son. Competitive integrity concerns aside, this looks like a pretty straight forward betting matchup. We have two young, talented, rebuilding teams facing off against each other but one is a few more years along in the process.

The Voodoos have struggled to move the ball or put points on the board recently but it was enough to beat the decrepit Tennessee Militia. QB Reid has a smorgasbord of excellent receiving options and a pair of great running backs but he needs to push the ball just a bit more. He's hitting a good 61% completion percentage but ranks near the bottom in yards per attempt. WR Baker has been injured, sure, but WRs Whalen and McCloskey were legit deep threats in college. The coaching staff needs to open the playbook!

Tucson is an amazing 0-4 in the division and desperately needs wins to avoid any sort of tiebreakers. They're putting up the numbers on offense now but it's the defense that's dropped the ball in their most recent losses. The team's lack of talent on the secondary (with CB Gelet injured) is being exposed and these next two games will be hell if they can't figure it out quick.

Now, I'm not one to jump at pointing out competitive integrity issues but I will say that QB Reid's injury is a timely one. If the New Orleans owner wanted to help out their son's franchise, resting QB Reid would go a long way. And not look terribly unusual. With all that in mind... I'd keep an eye on this game and see how the team handles this injury. Sources close to the team believe QB Reid is on track to play this week but who really knows?

All that said, I think there might be a little value on the Tucson spread this week. New Orleans SHOULD win but Tucson has been good against teams outside of their division and aren't too bad on the road either. The Voodoos win but do not cover: 30-27

Hartford at Texas (-2) - I try not to think too hard about games like this. We have the Texas Inferno laying points against a team that is very much better. The Inferno still don't have anything really going for themselves since they insist on funneling the ball through QB Marsh. They boast the highest ypc on the ground yet run the ball just under 25 times a game. This team could probably be 8-8 if they would just run the ball more.

Hartford showed glimmers of their preseason expectations in a 38-18 rout against Brooklyn. QB Barker and RB Feagles started the game so hot it didn't matter that they cooled off in the second half. They'll need to iron out those kinks and this scrimmage against TEX is the perfect opportunity. I don't think the Attack could lose if they tried. I'll take the points with HAR as well as the moneyline: 33-20 for the visitors.

Seattle (-2) at Detroit - Detroit looked real bad last week against Kansas City in the second half. However, they showed some real improvement on defense. The high flying Storm were held to just 236 offensive yards and probably would have lost if not for a total collapse by the Vampires. A season ending injury to LT Vieane just about ends the dream for Detroit but it's not like the players aren't going to play.

Seattle put up 509 yards and 46 points in a loss to one of the league's premier bottom feeders. Oregon's QB Gaines looked like a god damn stud out there thanks to the Spartans. Neither team has much to play for but they're technically not eliminated just yet. I'll give the edge to a team with a defense catching points at home. Detroit wins in a pretty sloppy contest: 24-17.