It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: More Sound Bites fro
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:30 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

After a surprising 2-1 start, Las Vegas' GM, TurfToe, has been doing a good job of avoiding the media and focusing on his team's priorities. Jack B. Nemble caught up with TurfToe yesterday morning after the Rounders' film session.

Here's a replay of the interview that ran on local affiliate, KLAS-Channel 8. Jack B. Nemble moderating:

Jack: So TurfToe, it was a close one in Seattle.

TurfToe: Yes, it was a heartbreaker. I really thought we could have pulled that one out. If we could have converted the last minute on-side kick, I'm absolutely sure Lenny would have easily put one in the endzone.

Jack: You sound pretty sure about that.

TurfToe: Well, I am sure about it. Not to take anything away from Seattle, because they went out and beat us, but I think that Lenny would have had no trouble putting a pass in the endzone for us. He's been doing it all year. Give him 30 seconds and a field of 65 yards or less and he will score. Period.

Jack: You were impressed by Seattle then?

TurfToe: Absolutely! Dever is one hell of a quarterback. And that Polish Express kid, what can I say? Whether it's a run up the gut or a long return on special teams, what more can he do for a team? We knew those two would give us headaches all day but I'm pretty impressed with my boys and the job they did. Our defense kept us in the game. The kid out of Toledo, what's his name, Hulse, Jeff Hulse with Seattle...I've heard nothing but crap from everyone and how porous the Seattle secondary is but that kid put on a clinic. We just got Shreveported, plain and simple.

Jack: Shreveported?

TurfToe: Yeah, Shreveported. You know, key turnovers at critical times in critical places that cost you the game...Shreveported.

Jack: Sorry, I hadn't heard that one yet.

TurfToe: Oh yeah, it's one of the new buzzwords this year. By Week 8 everyone will be using it.

Jack: You don't seem upset by the loss. I've seen you more upset over a win than this.

TurfToe: Savoy will be getting extra reps in condition drills this week. I know a kicker isn't a football player but we're going to start holding him accountable like the rest of the football players on the team.

Jack: Felix Savoy, the placekicker? What did he do?

TurfToe: Coach Cowley's job is to put our boys in a position to win. So far, through 3 weeks, he has done just that. It's up to the team to execute and get the win from the position they're placed in. I don't know if you got a good look at that on-side kick but the rest of the unit was in position to execute the play, it was just a bad kick.

Jack: ...and you're placing the loss on your kicker because of a "bad" on-side kick?

TurfToe: No. I'm placing the loss on the T-Birds. They forced 3 turnovers and gave up none. I just think there was more room for better execution on his part. If a kid like Dever can perform under pressure and be efficient, I think a vet like Savoy can come up big for us under pressure. That's all.

Jack: Extra conditioning for your kicker is your solution to a tough road loss?

TurfToe: C'mon Jack - we've all heard how quick you are but you don't seem to be getting it. I'm not solving anything. My job as GM is to give my coaches everything and anything they need to win. My "recommendation" to coach Cowley will be to treat Savoy more like a football player so maybe he'll play more like one. He may not be All Pro yet, but he will be if I have anything to do with it.

Jack: How do you feel about the rest of your schedule?

TurfToe: We've played three games that I expected to win. We're 2-1 after those three. We have a bye week next week and a lot of tough games after that. If we can go .750 or better in the games we should win and steal one or two that we shouldn't, then I would call that a successful season. We're trying to rebuild but that's no excuse for losing.

Jack: How are things in the locker room?

TurfToe: I don't know first hand. My place is not in the locker room, it's in the front office and then the skybox on gameday. I like to let my coaches do their own jobs.

Jack: Some players have stated, off the record, that there are some differences in the locker room.

TurfToe: If it's off the record, then it never happened. Coach Cowley will make the necessary changes to correct any attitude problems. If that means fresh meat at the RB position in two weeks, then that's what probably happened - an attitude adjustment.

Jack: Uh...

TurfToe: Sorry, but I just love to deflate your guys' follow-up questions...anything else you need to know?

Jack: Ummm...

TurfToe: Where's our little friend Patty K. Bakersmann, she handled these things much better than you, Jack. Shouldn't you send it back to the studio or something?

Jack: Back to the studio...or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:29 am 
Shreveport Pride

I've been Shreveported!

Eastern Conference Champions
2009, 2031, 2055
CFL Champions
2031, 2055
Hall of Fame
Joshua Mask, Douglas Hartman, Carl Bradford, Leland Wellins, Wally Wooden (#80), Brantley Gilmore (#9)