It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Klemu's Games of the
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:25 am 

[b5153653]Klemu's Games of the Week - Playoff Style (Conference Championships)[/b5153653]

It should be no surprise to you by now that once again I hit the ball out of the park with last week's predictions. I was 4 of 4, including hitting on my upset special of the week (Read 'em and weep, El Paso and Shreveport). But we can't spend any time on the lost and forgotten teams, we must instead, dredge forward to see if we can't crown a CFL Champion for 2006. So here we go:

[b5153653]#2 Tucson (14-4) at Honolulu (14-3)[/b5153653]
You'd think that when two 14 win teams got together, it would be THE game of the week. Tucson is coming off of two huge road playoff victories. To get to the CFL Bowl, they'll need to come up with a bigger third road victory. Sacramento and El Paso are both good teams, but they just aren't of the same caliber as Honolulu. Honolulu spent last weekend smacking Boise out of the playoffs. They are now threatening to return to the CFL Bowl and become the first repeat champions in the league.

Key Injuries: Tucson is still missing Gregg and Perez, but this week, we'll need to add a couple to the mounting pile of bodies that is known as the Tucson Toros. Most noticeably, CB Jeremy Rosenberg will be missing from action. In Honolulu, the Wave isn't looking as good in the injury department as they did last week. Two injuries will plague the Honolulu receiving corps, starting flanker Leroy O'Neill will be questionable for the game, but I expect him to play with his sprained knee. Slot receiver Chris Willingham is listed as doubtful, but may see some limited action this week.

Analysis: The cruel fact of this game remains that Tucson is missing some key personnel. Tucson also turns the ball over entirely too much (-11), although most of that is due to backup RB Daryl Bradley's 13 fumbles this season. Instead, look for Tucson to rely heavily upon rookie Drew Holliday to carry the load again. Honolulu is an elite team in the league and will take advantage of the many opportunities that they will have to turn the ball over and score. I don't expect this one to be too close. The real championship game was played last week when Honolulu spanked Boise. Honolulu needs Ronnie Tu to go after Tucson's secondary early and often, taking advantage of their not so great pass defense. Honolulu will also need to take the ball away from Tucson's offense and capitalize on those opportunities. Tucson needs to protect the ball and get an MVP type effort from Drew Holliday. Honolulu [i5153653]can[/i5153653] be run on.

Klemu's Kall: Although I've ridden the Tucson upset train for two weeks in a row, this is my stop. It's time to get off. I kindly thank Tucson for living up to their billing and making me look good. This week Vegas has Honolulu as 5 point favorites. I put Honolulu as 10 point favorites.

[b5153653]#1 Detroit (13-4) at Durham (15-2)[/b5153653]
When I first looked at this game, I thought it would be a no-brainer. The best record in the league should be a shoe-in, right? I wanted to think so, but further analysis revealed that this will be THE game of the week. Detroit spent last weekend making the Shreveport look inept and Durham took the opportunity to get more practice in by adding overtime to their game against New York. This, my friends, is going to be one hell of a game.

Key Injuries: Durham may need to hire a new Center for this game. It appears as though Clarence Brown's strained calf muscle is enough to keep him out of play this week. For Detroit, CB Kaspar Carter is still out, but the Vampires have been doing fine without him since Jose Benge took over in week 4.

Analysis: Durham's awesome pass defense will need to shut down Freddie Mathias. Detroit doesn't have much of a run game, but Freddie Mathias can hurt a team, especially when he looks to his favorite receiver, TE Brian Manos. Detroit will need to execute on the formula that's been winning them games since week 1. That is, they will need to sack the quarterback, take the ball away from their opponents, and capitalize on turnovers. Detroit's +9 turnover ratio is 5th best in the league, but what's more impressive is the 36 sacks that the team posted during the regular season. Both of these teams hold their opponents to 15 points or less, so don't expect it to be a shootout by any means.

Klemu's Kall: Vegas says Durham by 2. Klemu says that this is the upset special of the week. Detroit by 1. If my predictions come true, this year's CFL Bowl will be a re-match from last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:40 am 
Detroit Vampires

Oh please pretty please be right once again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:15 am 
Legend Of The Game

Uh oh, Klemu doesn't believe in us any longer! Time for us to prove him wrong!

I feel like a rivalry has started this season between Durham and Detroit. A look back at this past season:

Durham drafts WR Michael Browning at #28 - FFF had hoped that he would fall to #31. Browning started 15 games and caught 46 passes for 784 yards and 7 TDs. The two starting WRs for Detroit (Infante and Fields) COMBINED for 47 catches for 641 yards and 3 TDs.

Detroit defeats Durham in a controversial game - The week 6 score: Detroit 17, Durham 13. The game ended with Durham 12 yards away from the endzone and a victory. Detroit picked up 12 disputable yards earlier in the game when QB Mathias completed a pass to DURHAM FB Kendall for 12 yards and a 1st down. The investigation into how this happened has not resulted in any conclusive evidence, but Durham coaches will be on the lookout for any suspicious behavior among their players this week.

Also, during the Detroit/Durham matchup in week 6, Motormouth Vazquez posted 2.5 sacks, a team record.

Good luck, FFF! It should be a great game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:57 am 
Honolulu Blue Pacific

I'd say that both games are rivalry games. Tuscon and myself are in the same division too. The last 2 years (cant remember the year 2 years prior) we are 2-2 with wins coming at home. Glad this game is at home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:24 pm 
Tucson Toros

[quote76bb3c6="MrBug708"]I'd say that both games are rivalry games. Tuscon and myself are in the same division too. The last 2 years (cant remember the year 2 years prior) we are 2-2 with wins coming at home. Glad this game is at home[/quote76bb3c6]

Yup, this'll be a good one to add to the history of our rivalry!

CFL Champions - 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2025

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:54 am 
Detroit Vampires

Klemu strikes again!

Amazing results, you've missed, what, just one game?
Pretty damn good, if I may say so...