It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Boxcars Update: Free
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:15 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[be91e1a9]Boxcars Prepare for Free Agency, Introduce Stuart as Defensive Coordinator[/be91e1a9]
[ie91e1a9]By Boxcars Update Staff
Date: Apr 1, 2004[/ie91e1a9]

Fargo head coach [be91e1a9]Korey Tyworth[/be91e1a9] introduced 57 year old [be91e1a9]James Stuart[/be91e1a9] as their new defensive coordinator to fill the whole left when [be91e1a9]Louis Blufer[/be91e1a9] left to sign a 5 year deal with the Hartford Attack at the same position. Unwilling to match or beat Hartfords offer of $3.1 million a year, Tyworth settled on Stuart at a three year deal worth a total of $5.5 million. "We would have liked to keep Blufer on staff, but we just don't have the revenue to compete with the kind of large coaching contracts some other teams can. We wish Louis the best of luck in the future, and we're very excited to get Stuart in to get his defensive plan together."

Stuart has no previous experience as a coordinator. Last year he was the linebacker coach for the Chicago Hitmen. "We ran a 3-4 last year in Chicago, so there won't be much of a change from that here," Stuart replied to a question on what he planned to do with the defense. "I've had a chance to meet a few of the players already and I'm excited with what we should be able to do on the defensive front here. We have to make sure we bring a few guys back, but that's for the front office to take care of. I'm confident that they can get the players we need."

Speaking of free agency, the Boxcars front office were busy making their final preparations before free agency officially started today. In order to make room on the roster and clear up money they cut four players yesterday; tight ends [be91e1a9]Jorge Leyba[/be91e1a9] and [be91e1a9]Bradley Tucker[/be91e1a9], along with defensive backs [be91e1a9]Carlos Pooler[/be91e1a9] and [be91e1a9]Jose Fisher[/be91e1a9]. With only one TE left on the roster it's believed that the position will be top priority in free agency.

Fargo has nearly $22 million to spend to sign 25 players through free agency and the draft.

THURSDAY NOTES
* While many teams took the advantage of exclusive free agent negotions with one of their top players, the Boxcars declined use of their franchise tag. It was thought that they may use the tag on QB [be91e1a9]Don Martinez[/be91e1a9]
* One the subject of franchise tags, division rival El Paso franchised FB [be91e1a9]Shaun Easterday[/be91e1a9], who many expected Fargo to make a big push to sign.
* The Boxcars released their ticket prices for next season yesterday, and although the price of luxury boxes increased by $5,000, and club seats went up $5, most prices stayed the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:27 pm 
Tulsa Talons

nice article, hopefully I will have time to do one on my team tonight or tomorrow after the day 2 sim.

Good luck with your team- hopefully mine will be a little bit more of a challenge to you when we open the season against each other! Speaking of- does anyone else find it odd that my team opens with 4 straight home games, and 6 of the first 7 at home???

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo