It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Rookie Draft Underwa
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 pm 
Tennessee Milita

Please refer to the Rookie Draft forum for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:00 am 
Tennessee Milita

On second thought, maybe we should delay the start of the draft. Mckerney has pointed out that his draft plans will depend on his free agency. I agree with this. Any other opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:04 am 
Tulsa Talons

[quotebe6677f="GoldenEagle"]On second thought, maybe we should delay the start of the draft. Mckerney has pointed out that his draft plans will depend on his free agency. I agree with this. Any other opinions?[/quotebe6677f]

If the team is ready to make their pick I see no reason in making them wait. Who I pick really does not depend on FA so if my pick were up I could make mine...but if someone is not ready I don't see a need to rush them into making thier pick. Start the draft but no time limit until after free agency?

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:08 am 
El Paso Vulture

[quote6b2f6e1="Doug5984"]If the team is ready to make their pick I see no reason in making them wait. Who I pick really does not depend on FA so if my pick were up I could make mine...but if someone is not ready I don't see a need to rush them into making thier pick. Start the draft but no time limit until after free agency?[/quote6b2f6e1]

The only issue I could see there is teams wanting to trade up for players based on who signs. Now, I know that we can't wait too long, but maybe if we were to wait until after the 4th or 5th free agency sim things would look clearer for most teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:12 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote1c20deb="Doug5984"][quote1c20deb="GoldenEagle"]On second thought, maybe we should delay the start of the draft. Mckerney has pointed out that his draft plans will depend on his free agency. I agree with this. Any other opinions?[/quote1c20deb]

If the team is ready to make their pick I see no reason in making them wait. Who I pick really does not depend on FA so if my pick were up I could make mine...but if someone is not ready I don't see a need to rush them into making thier pick. Start the draft but no time limit until after free agency?[/quote1c20deb]

I agree. It's not likely we'll get very far, so if we can get some picks done now, go for it. But if someone sees that a lot of tackles goes early in the draft, that can affect free agency as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:13 am 
Tulsa Talons

[quote2b6e43e="MC"]

The only issue I could see there is teams wanting to trade up for players based on who signs. Now, I know that we can't wait too long, but maybe if we were to wait until after the 4th or 5th free agency sim things would look clearer for most teams.[/quote2b6e43e]

That is true- I did not think of that. I am ok with not starting until a later stage in free agency. Maybe after the 5-6 days sim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:17 am 
El Paso Vulture

[quotee00d815="Doug5984"][quotee00d815="MC"]

The only issue I could see there is teams wanting to trade up for players based on who signs. Now, I know that we can't wait too long, but maybe if we were to wait until after the 4th or 5th free agency sim things would look clearer for most teams.[/quotee00d815]

That is true- I did not think of that. I am ok with not starting until a later stage in free agency. Maybe after the 5-6 days sim?[/quotee00d815]

After the 5-6 days sim would seem best to me. By that stage I believe qutie a few of the top tier players should have signed, so teams should have a pretty good idea of what they'll be holding. It's not perfect by anymeans, but what we'll need in order to get the draft done in a reasonable amount of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:50 pm 

I think we can let people go ahead and make their picks if they are ready and it's their turn. If they're not ready, they can wait until whatever deadline we set up. That would give plenty of time for setting up some trades too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:56 pm 
Tucson Toros

[quoteee72c11="Ryche"]I think we can let people go ahead and make their picks if they are ready and it's their turn. If they're not ready, they can wait until whatever deadline we set up. That would give plenty of time for setting up some trades too.[/quoteee72c11]

Ditto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:45 pm 
Hartford Attack

I agree with starting the draft now for the reasons that have already been mentioned.

- Allows lots of time for trades while FA is still going on

- Allows people with busy schedules not to be rushed

A couple of addition thoughts. Since there are no deadlines at the beginning, we should probably PM (via FOFC) the next person after you make your pick as I imagine most people spend more time at FOFC than here.

When your pick is up, give everyone a brief update with what you are doing - i.e negotiating a trade, waiting on the next stage of FA etc. Whoever is after your pick might get a little antsy if they have to wait too long and its nice to know that you haven't forgotten about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:26 pm 

I realize the issues, but it seems to me that they only hurt the team that chooses to make their pick. I think that if a team really wants to take their guy immediately, why not let them? It's their own fault for jumping the gun, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:51 pm 

[quote31d9834="Passacaglia"]I realize the issues, but it seems to me that they only hurt the team that chooses to make their pick. I think that if a team really wants to take their guy immediately, why not let them? It's their own fault for jumping the gun, anyway.[/quote31d9834]

I don't get a word you just said. I might be confused, but what the hell difference does it make if i pick now, or a week from now? I know who i want. That isn't going to change if i wait until after fa is done. Whatever, i made my pick, i'm happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:00 pm 

I'm glad you're happy! That was my point. It seemed to me that everyone above was in favor of not allowing you to make your pick, because you might want to wait, depending on who you sign in free agency. I think you should have been able to make the pick, and I was saying so. I'm sorry you didn't understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:54 pm 

I think you should be allowed to pick ahead of time if you wish, also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:19 pm 

2 picks have been made so the ball is already rolling. I think we need to decide when to start putting people on the clock now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:02 pm 
Hartford Attack

[quoteab37d68="Ryche"]2 picks have been made so the ball is already rolling. I think we need to decide when to start putting people on the clock now.[/quoteab37d68]

With only 3 stages in FA done, I think it is a bit premature to put people on the clock - that should probably wait until after Friday's export. However, it would be nice to know what Jeeber is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:09 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quote69415ba="Masked"][quote69415ba="Ryche"]2 picks have been made so the ball is already rolling. I think we need to decide when to start putting people on the clock now.[/quote69415ba]

With only 3 stages in FA done, I think it is a bit premature to put people on the clock - that should probably wait until after Friday's export. However, it would be nice to know what Jeeber is doing.[/quote69415ba]

Putting Jeeber on a clock at stage 3 of Free Agency when he's going to trade down would big a bit unfair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:13 pm 

That's why we want to decide now rather than waiting until it's actually time and telling people to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:32 pm 
Hartford Attack

[quotef02e09d="Ryche"]That's why we want to decide now rather than waiting until it's actually time and telling people to go.[/quotef02e09d]

Perhaps after Friday's file when stages 5 and 6 are processed. I think that a long time period is good (at least initially). I think finishing the first ronud and the 20 step process at the same time should be a good goal. To do that, we probably only need to average 3 or 4 picks a day.

If you can't be around when you think your pick will come up, PM a list of players to someone you trust (who has probably already picked and isn't planning on moving up). With a faily slow pace, there will probably be only 3 or 4 teams ahead of you who haven't picked when you make your list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:02 pm 
El Paso Rockets

[quote9476170="Masked"] However, it would be nice to know what Jeeber is doing.[/quote9476170]

Sorry. Still looking into trading down. However, if I don't have something worked out by this time tomorrow I'll go ahead and make a pick...

El Paso Rockets
2016, 2037 Wild Card Team
2005, 2006, 2015 Cavalry Divison champs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:52 pm 
Tulsa Talons

Ok- I am going out of town- leaving early tomorrow. If we start the clock after the sim friday, do yall think I need to put together a list of players for the 31st pick in the first round?? I will be getting home around 2 am sunday night. Just going out of town for the long easter weekend. Also, I will give GE a list for my pick (#4) before I leave, just wondering if yall think I will need to go ahead and make a list for the # 31 pick also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:56 pm 
Hartford Attack

[quoteeb28879="Doug5984"]Ok- I am going out of town- leaving early tomorrow. If we start the clock after the sim friday, do yall think I need to put together a list of players for the 31st pick in the first round?? I will be getting home around 2 am sunday night. Just going out of town for the long easter weekend. Also, I will give GE a list for my pick (#4) before I leave, just wondering if yall think I will need to go ahead and make a list for the # 31 pick also.[/quoteeb28879]

I can't believe it would go that fast. I'll be suprised if we make it to 12 by the time you return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:10 am 
Legend Of The Game

When we officially start the draft and put people on the clock, how much time will we have to make a pick? 1 hour? 12 hours? 24 hours? Something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:49 am 

I would say 12 hours for the first round wouldn't be bad, with people encouraged to try to get their picks in as quickly as possible. Maybe have whoever picks email the next person in order as well.