It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Thunderbirds Trade #
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:54 pm 

[b5c94a84]Seattle(AP)[/b5c94a84] - True to his word, GM Aylmar has been very active in the trade market over the last week. The most stunning deal of his young regime, however, has to be the trade of the #1 overall pick in the draft for Shreveport's #11 and inside linebacker Richard Suazo.

At a press conference announcing the move, Aylmar fielded a few questions about the trade in question:

[b5c94a84]What did you see in Suazo that made you pull the trigger?[/b5c94a84]
[i5c94a84]I don't know if it was one thing in particular. Richard has a keen nose for stopping the run. That's critical in our defense. He has good technique and breaks down well to make tackles. The guy's not afraid to lay the wood, either. We feel as though he'll make a solid buck linebacker for us. When you add that to the fact that moving down that far saved us a little over a million dollars in cap room, it was an easy decision.[/i5c94a84]

[b5c94a84]Did you think you could get more for that pick?[/b5c94a84]
[i5c94a84]Obviously you want to get everything you can for a draft pick that high. We felt as an organization that Richard was a player that we would really like to have on our roster. Plus, you can only respond to the offers that are on the table. We got an offer, we responded. We got our player, kept a pick in the first half of the round, and they got their pick. If you ask me, that's win-win.[/i5c94a84]

[b5c94a84]Some of the media have been reporting that Shreveport took you to the cleaners. Your comments?[/b5c94a84]
[i5c94a84]I would say that it all depends on which side of the fence you're on. As I said, we got our player and accomplished our goals. We're happy with the move. I'm not going to speculate on what this move would have been like if I were dealing with a regular situation in a regular year. I will say that I don't pay very much attention to those draft charts that say you have to get this or that for a certain pick. Are you telling me that Richard Suazo isn't worth ten slots? I don't agree.[/i5c94a84]