It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm 

1. Harry Reese-QB Texas
Last year we looked on as Harry Reece put on one of the best playoff performances in recent history. With 6 TD’s and no interceptions it seemed Texas was poised to take the CFL Bowl. This incredible run was ended prematurely by eventual League Champs The Hartford Attack in a close contest. After an entire off-season to think about that painful loss Harry Reese should be ready to carry last years playoff momentum into this season. Reese has not taken his eyes off the prize even amidst trade rumors this off-season which failed to materialize.

2. Tommy Price- WR Omaha
Many believed that Tommy Price may have been a stretch for the 18th overall pick. However, with good receivers at a premium in today’s CFL the move was not altogether unexpected. He wasn’t the only stretch at WR as Death Valley also may have stretched a bit far to get Calvin Fredricks a receiver whom many saw as overrated. Tommy however, came out of the draft looking a bit green. Look for Tommy and Calvin to compete early on to show their respective teams that they were worth the first round pick.

3. Kendall McCarthy- QB Iowa City
After struggling to find his rhythm, last year’s number 5 overall pick needs to establish himself this year as an upper tier Quarterback. While most QB’s struggle to find their place in new professional systems, his 0.5 Touchdown to Interception ratio, along with his 67 QB rating didn’t exactly inspire confidence in his production in the 4 games he played in. Look for Kendall to get more starts this year as the time comes for him to prove himself as a legitimate threat from the pocket this year.

4. Junior Wolfe- RB Death Valley
After a 2033 season which saw Wolfe rack up more than 2000 yards and 20 Touchdowns it seemed he was unstoppable. However, last year saw his production drop is almost every category: Yards, attempts, YPC, and TD’s. He put up respectable numbers but failed to capture the magic of the year before. Wolfe is not getting any younger and as he enters his sixth season there is already talk that his best years are behind him. Keep a close eye on Wolfe as he comes out of training camp to see if he’s really lost a step or if his intense training regimen, has knocked off a bit of the rust.

5. Ricardo Murray, Norm Kocialski & Kelly May- Brooklyn
Brooklyn turned a lot of heads this year drafting 3 Running Backs in their first five picks, including First rounder Kelly May. With cuts coming up alongside roster reduction time, one thing is for sure, someone is going home. First rounder May is obviously the favorite to take on an important role in this year’s offense, but this early in the season nothing is certain. Look for Kocialski and Murry to fight hard for the opportunity the strut their stuff this season. Brooklyn has been known to keep 3 RB’s on his roster during the season so watch for the veterans to work hard to keep their spots.

Hey I'm not trying to dog anyone's team with this list so please do not be offended if you don't think your player should be on the list. I just thought it might be a fun way to encourage discussion and league participation. Please feel free to tell me where I'm wrong or post your own players I may have missed; it's way more fun that way. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm 
Legend Of The Game

Great writeup!

For Durham, RB David Browning needs to prove that last year's rookie of the year performance (1,113 yards, 5.83 average, 10 TDs) was not a fluke. Trade talks are ongoing to ship disgruntled RB Daryl Emmons out of Durham, so Browning needs to come through to make this work out in Durham's favor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm 
Hartford Attack

Very nice write up.

Another player I would add is San Antonio QB Gary Farr who took a step back last year. He is in the same QB class as Hartford QB Stephen Gietka, there was much debate over who should go first (at least I had Farr on my shortlist), and the two will always be linked. While Farr has been at worse average, Gietka has two championships and the single season TD record.

Now, I'll pick on San Antonio some more who have arguably been the most disappointing team over the past two years (their roster is stacked). RB Andrew Adamo should be among the league leaders but he has 1,482 yards over his first three seasons as he has struggled to stay on the field. He's in a contract year, so maybe this season will look more like his 5.5 ypc roookie year rather than his 3.5 ypc 3rd season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm 

Quote:
Very nice write up.

Another player I would add is San Antonio QB Gary Farr who took a step back last year. He is in the same QB class as Hartford QB Stephen Gietka, there was much debate over who should go first (at least I had Farr on my shortlist), and the two will always be linked. While Farr has been at worse average, Gietka has two championships and the single season TD record.

Now, I'll pick on San Antonio some more who have arguably been the most disappointing team over the past two years (their roster is stacked). RB Andrew Adamo should be among the league leaders but he has 1,482 yards over his first three seasons as he has struggled to stay on the field. He's in a contract year, so maybe this season will look more like his 5.5 ypc roookie year rather than his 3.5 ypc 3rd season.
Would have helped that I submitted some more game plans last year. We'll fix this one this year though. We may actually have an O-Line again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm 

Honestly as a team I have a lot to prove in Death Valley this season. I have good top end talent but I stumble in game planning. Also the way my contracts are set up, and with the ages of my top end talent, this is my last a best shot at a championship. After this year it's back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm 

For Tulsa we finally got into the playoffs this last year after a 10 year drought. Lynch had his best year. With Fredrickson aging it will be up to Lynch and the defense to get the Talons back in the dance again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 am 
Omaha Arrowheads

Quote:

2. Tommy Price- WR Omaha
Many believed that Tommy Price may have been a stretch for the 18th overall pick. However, with good receivers at a premium in today’s CFL the move was not altogether unexpected. He wasn’t the only stretch at WR as Death Valley also may have stretched a bit far to get Calvin Fredricks a receiver whom many saw as overrated. Tommy however, came out of the draft looking a bit green. Look for Tommy and Calvin to compete early on to show their respective teams that they were worth the first round pick.
I had to pick Tommy as we have no wideouts on our roster, I would have loved to picked Zack Henderson CB but Price was a priority pick. I really like my 2nd round selection Harold Sampson WR, he may end up being a better receiver than price. It will be interesting starting 2 rookie's at WR, this will be the 1st time in the history of Omaha/Charleston that will have occurred.

Love the write up Jander, keep it up because they're awesome.

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 am 
Brooklyn Brawlers

Quote:
5. Ricardo Murray, Norm Kocialski & Kelly May- Brooklyn
Brooklyn turned a lot of heads this year drafting 3 Running Backs in their first five picks, including First rounder Kelly May. With cuts coming up alongside roster reduction time, one thing is for sure, someone is going home. First rounder May is obviously the favorite to take on an important role in this year’s offense, but this early in the season nothing is certain. Look for Kocialski and Murry to fight hard for the opportunity the strut their stuff this season. Brooklyn has been known to keep 3 RB’s on his roster during the season so watch for the veterans to work hard to keep their spots.
Spot on with what's happen in Brooklyn!

The wildcard is Norm. Right now he is a 21/21, but has an experience level of a 4. It is going to be tough for Hall and, newly added, Stargell to hold their roster spot. It looks like this year Brooklyn might have four RBs on the roster this year as the backfield leader, Schultz, will likely hold his spot.

The other, way less important, thing is the exciting job of kick-holding! Kubis will be battling the 7th round pick, Hambrick, who comes in at a 98 kick-holding.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 am 
Chicago Soldiers

McCarthy will be tested with some new offensive schemes. We'll find one that suits his ability and style of play.

Defensively I'm not sure what to do with the team. :?