It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am 

It has been five years since the last FOF update but the CFL is still going stronger than ever. In fact 2036 is shaping up to be the most competitive CFL season in recent memory. Just in case you haven’t been in the forum lately, we have five previous owners returning to the league. Many of you may remember Mr.Bug, Thater, Hoosier, Cotton and Grand Marquis, from the early days of the league, and I’m sure you are ready to reignite some old rivalries. The rest of us can look forward to facing some fresh new competition in an every changing league. Welcome back guys! I look forward to seeing you on the field.

Mr. Bug will be taking over the Honolulu franchise with veteran QB Markus Hanks and shutdown CB Britt Perkins; so watch out for Honolulu to be a threat on both sides of the ball. The team could use more depth on the offensive side maybe in the form of some new targets for Hanks.

Thater is the new owner of Albany which sports an all-around tough defense anchored by SLB Junior Selig who racked up a career high 76 tackles in 2035. Albany could also use some help on the offensive side though I would be caught too off guard by a pick at DT/DE.

Hoosier will be taking over Iowa City, formerly Chicago. Last year I wrote an article saying it was time for IWC QB Kendall McCarthy to “put up or shut up.” Well last year, even without a human, owner he averaged a touchdown per game an 84 QB rating (up twenty from the year before). Lets see what kind of numbers he can put up with a human behind the wheel.

Former owner Cotton will be taking over Boston again. Boston is coming off of a few rough seasons, and the loss of star WR C.J. Hicks complicates matters even further. Cotton will need to rebuild the bulk of his once potent offence to compete with division rival, and 3rd year champ Hartford.

Finally GrandMarquis has taken over the once proud Ohio Sentries. The past few years have not been kind to the Sentries- they have only won 2 games in the last 2 years, however, this has given them a string of great draft picks (this year included) to bring things back on track. Look for GrandMarquis to make a splash in this year’s draft, or even earlier if he decides to trade his picks.

Admittedly I wasn't here to face most of you so my analysis may be a bit weak. So owners lets jump in and share some stories/ideas/analysis from those of you who were lucky enough to play against these gentlemen.

It’s not every year we are fortunate enough to bring back so many old friends, and it really speaks to the commitment Smitty and Taco have shown as commissioner and web designer respectively. Smitty’s commitment to actively recruiting the best new owners and the best owners from years past has certainly paid off. Also, Taco’s reinvigoration of the website has completely changed the look and feel of the CFL home page (BTW he does this for a living so this website would be very expensive). We look professional, fun, and organized, and that is a great tool for attracting new owners and encouraging current owner participation. If you haven't already, thank them, they deserve it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 am 
Kansas City Crows

Certainly still in a bit of shock as to the changes in the game, it has been like 15 seasons or so for me. Cap numbers and contracts are way more and throwing me off until I get used to it. Seeing the ratings of players that are starting when those ratings used to get released or undrafted is the most shocking at the moment.

About me in CFL, the Draft was easily my favorite part. Always open to consider offers for trading down or up, I really enjoy wheeling and dealing picks and hoping to uncover bargains and stars. However, all of that data is know gone on a long since dead hard drive, so I am starting from scratch this draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm 
Honolulu Blue Pacific

Is Ronnie Tu still around?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 pm 
Legend Of The Game

Actually, Ronnie Tu Jr is still around!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 pm 
Chicago Soldiers

How could I not come back...I was getting like fifty e-mails a week updating me on the league... :lol:

I've always preferred the fictional leagues over the NFL replications, and I've always wondered about the CFL. I've been in the Dynasty Football League since 2005 with a very slight break at one time, and that's a solid fictional league. And Cotton still dominates in that league as well. Damn Titans and their tidy whiteys. And I've liked my stay in the Imperial League despite having very little success over there with the LA Matadors.

We'll see how we do here. I'm a lot more adept at gameplanning and devoted a ton of time to understanding defenses in FOF.

So... the Iowa City Soldiers are stuck with me.

But it is cool to see the other "older" guys back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm 
Boston Bees

The hive is depleted, swarming and in search of a new Queen... (This roster is a mess.)

Plenty of cap room, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:33 am 
Omaha Arrowheads

Awesome Article Jander, dude you kick ass at writing...

Yeah BBrider and I have been recruiting pretty hard this past month.. Looks like its starting to pay off, its great to have some of the old owners back with us. Also, great thanks to Chris (Taco) for redesigning the website and taking us into a more modern look. You the man!!!

Can some owners post in these recruitment threads, it may help bring some excitement;

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/sho ... hp?t=83281

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/o ... wners.html

Also we really need to start up some old traditions like;

- CFL Bowl real time chats

- Some type of power rankings each week

- Good old fashion sh*t talking between owners each week.

Lets make this a great league again, I believe we can.

Long Live the CFL!!!

Atlantic Division Champions - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2028, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2044, 2046, 2047
Eastern Conference Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047
CFL Champions - 2008, 2039, 2047