It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Albany Wins 2038 Draft
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 pm 
Kansas City Crows

Apparently this is a thing now, so I will give it a try.

Albany selected 11 players in this draft while no other team even hit the double digit mark. While the quality of the players currently on the roster play heavily into this, the Crows expect 9 of these draftees to be starters this season with the other 2 having a solid chance to get playing time.

1.2 DT Brenden Maloney - LDT will be moving to RDT
No one wants to miss on a player they take in the top 10, Brenden looks like he should be a beast at DT for years to come.

1.9 OLB Blake Barlow - WLB will be moving to MLB
Another top ten pick, Blake elected not to go to the combine which makes this pick a bit more risky that one would hope. He is both smart and football smart and that should really play well as he moves to be QB of the defense at MLB.

2.2 G Irv Mitchell - RG will be moving to LT
This massive 6' 6", 340lb. lineman was only recently moved to the offensive side of the ball at Kansas. He has the frame, athleticism, and smarts to make the move to the very important Left Tackle spot. Albany believes he could be a top 10 in the league type talent there even though he is very raw right now.

2.10 QB Dana Henselman
With the eternally disappointing Rondell Whiting finally run out of town, the Crows were looking very thin at QB. The hope in Albany was that someone would stand out in the draft at the #2 overall spot, but that was not the case. Henselman is a wild west gunslinger type that Albany hopes makes enough plays to overcome his risk taking. The ability to scramble out of the pocket buys him time but he can often run too much missing open third or fourth options in his checkdowns. However, with nothing blocking him at QB, he will be given every chance to learn and succeed at this level.

3.9 C Vincent Rivers
Vincent looks to come in and take control as the core of the offensive line. A bit easy to wear out, he will have to commit to a better training regimen to be able to stay on the field for all the snaps at center. Smart, likeable, and very athletic in bursts, he uses his critics as fuel to prove them wrong. The former two-star recruit to San Jose State has stated he felt wronged by not being offered a scholarship to any Pac-12 schools or even his hometown San Diego State University.

4.10 S Graham Lary
With only one Safety signed, Graham has the SS spot lined up for this season in Albany. While extremely solid in both pass coverage and against the run, Graham is dumb as shit and benches less reps than most punters. Combine that with always being fooled by the play action and you can see how he lasted until the 4th round. Albany thinks he can be a solid asset when used properly and understanding his shortcomings.

5.9 RB Jerry Hutchins - RB will be moving to WR
This guy made the poor choice of leaving Mississippi State early after hearing how everyone was expecting that running back from Mississippi State to go in the first round, someone should have told him they were talking about Brandon B. Brandon. Of course Brandon got the lion's share of the time at RB for the Bulldogs, but Jerry did give him a breather quite often. Dan Mullen found a way to get Hutchins into the offense though by using him as a 3rd receiver where he showed a knack for making the needed catches on third downs. With a very weak WR corps, Albany will be turning Jerry into that position full time. He will also be up for a return man spot depending on if that takes too much time away from him learning to be a full time wide out.

6.4 OLB Jerald Thamilarasan - SLB will be moving to WLB
Albany has high hopes for this overlooked outside linebacker from tiny Eastern Michigan. A safety in high school in Houston, TX, he was not recruited by anyone and walked on to the team at Houston. His defensive backs coach there convinced him he had a better shot at earning a scholarship if he bulked up and moved to outside linebacker as he was great against the run at safety, but just too slow for pass coverage. When that coach got the head coaching job at Eastern Michigan, Jerald transferred and got a scholarship. While he was a solid blitzing threat at EMU, he doesn't have the strength to be able to do the same in the CFL. A run stuffer with above average pass coverage skills, he is expected to be the main backup OLB for the Crows.

6.9 P Alonzo Petrafassi
The Crows traded the only punter on the roster early in the draft to pick up that 6.4 pick, so the job is all Alonzo's.

6.10 FB William Quinn
Age and injuries had taken their toll on veteran FB Tyrell LeCroy who had played at a high level for 8 seasons, but has declined severely over the last 3 and was released by Albany before the draft. William has the job in hand and comes out of the SEC as a fairly solid blocking FB that is quite good at picking up blitzes. He will likely not touch the ball much in Albany's offense and that fits Quinn's skill set just fine.

7.9 RB Winfred Howry - RB will be moving to WR
The shifty, 5' 9" Howry was the featured back at Vanderbilt but was never considered a real threat running the ball. Never being fast enough to be a worry to the SEC defenses, Winfred got by on great vision and being very difficult to tackle. However, he shined as a receiver coming out of the backfield. His knack for breaking one-on-one tackles was exploited as Vandy ran a high volume of screen passes and wheel routes for him. As mentioned, Albany has a very weak WR corps and will be looking at converting Howry to an undersized wide out. RB Mickey Mutzel does a solid job for Albany, but there is a chance Howry stays at RB to become the 3rd down receiving threat out of the backfield.

11 picks, all expected to see the field quite often for Albany in 2038 with only 2 slated to be backup/situational players this season. The Crows will definitely be a young bunch this season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

Loved the insight. I'm very curious to see the results of the RB moves to WR.

That leaves just one question...

When will the eternally disappointing Thater finally get run out of town?

;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:13 pm 
Kansas City Crows

Quote:
Loved the insight. I'm very curious to see the results of the RB moves to WR.

That leaves just one question...

When will the eternally disappointing Thater finally get run out of town?

;)
Thanks man. I really liked yours too, and such a great hit pic for that Florida player. I didn't want to say anything on your post so as to not stroke the ego boner that is TT.

I did get run out of town and it looks like they did a little bit worse. Maybe if I don't trade my young star players right as they hit their prime for new draft picks I might make the playoffs again. For all the solid players that have come through Albany, the team has only made the playoffs twice. Once under the original owner as the Albany Engineers, then later with me one time back when FFF was dominating the division year in, year out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:55 am 

nice right up thater, henselman is an exciting pick, i can't wait to see how/if he grows, i think he looks good going into camp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:52 am 

So if you don't continually draft WRs high, the philosophy is to convert them from other positions. I like the new approach. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:17 am 
Kansas City Crows

Well, it is not a new approach and it is not the way to get star WRs. The few solid WR always get grabbed early in the draft since the league has always been low on good WR. Converting a RB that is not a 1st round RB himself has a best case scenario of becoming a 60 rated WR, with ones that look like they should do well often ending up around 45. It is just me, but those second or third tier WR's also get drafted too high. I was guilty of that too after spending two 2nd round picks on WR 3 drafts ago to get two 43 rated guys, I remembered this tactic. So, fingers crossed, but not expecting a whole hell of a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm 
Kansas City Crows

It took 3 drafts, but Albany is back. The first year I went position change crazy, moving two DE's I picked to linebackers and they kind of panned out, but I was more focused on who was a good position switch than who was a good player at that spot. Year 2, I did not get the QB to fall to the #2 slot, so I just traded down and out and got flustered. This year, I stuck to the plan and had built my old spreadsheet from scratch as I couldn't find the one from the last time I was in the league and I am very happy with the results. Yep, figured it out just in time to have to relearn everything when we upgrade next season.

It will be real interesting to see where these guys end up in 5 years as I don't know how the change over will effect them.

1.2 DT Brenden Maloney - LDT will be moving to RDT
After Camp RDT 68/82
5 year projection 81/81

1.9 OLB Blake Barlow - WLB will be moving to MLB
After Camp MLB 53/76
5 year projection 77/77

2.2 G Irv Mitchell - RG will be moving to LT
After Camp LT 19/48
5 year projection 66/66

2.10 QB Dana Henselman
After Camp QB 26/53
5 year projection 55/55

3.9 C Vincent Rivers
After Camp C 44/67
5 year projection 65/65

4.10 S Graham Lary
After Camp SS 22/54
5 year projection 52/52

5.9 RB Jerry Hutchins - RB will be moving to WR
After Camp FL 14/46
5 year projection 42/42

6.4 OLB Jerald Thamilarasan - SLB moving to WLB *I forgot to move him but will soon and it won't change much.
After Camp SLB 15/47
5 year projection 45/45

6.9 P Alonzo Petrafassi
After Camp P 46/66
5 year projection 64/64

6.10 FB William Quinn
After Camp FB 26/48
5 year projection 50/50

7.9 RB Winfred Howry - RB will be moving to WR
After Camp FL 23/48
5 year projection 42/42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 am 

sorry to inform you but Vegas clearly won the draft. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09 am 
Las Vegas Rounders

Quote:
sorry to inform you but Vegas clearly won the draft. :mrgreen:
I'm not so sure about that, San Antonio kicked some major ass this draft.

*ahem* Waiting for an updated analysis from Shooter.