It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Las Vegas 2020 Draft
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:39 am 
Las Vegas Rounders

After climbing back into the early rounds in 2020, Vegas GM TurfToe was looking to address some specific needs...

[b1344bab]1.12[/b1344bab]
CB - Dana Thomason
Washington
5'11" 192

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... omason.jpg[/img1344bab]

Some may have considered Thomason a reach at 1.12 but it is clear that Vegas had Thomason as the second best CB after the phenom Byron Clemons went first overall. Others wonder what happened in Billy Joe Talley's interview that caused Vegas to go right to Thomason. TurfToe had this to say, "Dana was a better fit for our defense, our team, and our town. Talley has skills but Dana was just a better fit for us at this point".

As long as Thomason can work as hard on the field as he does off of it, Vegas may have found Gus Shergalis' long-term replacement. If Thomason's relentess pursuit of endorsements and TV time doesn't distract him, the pressure he will feel from the Vegas fans and TurfToe won't either.

[b1344bab]2.11[/b1344bab]
CB - Vince Richardson
Valparaiso
5'10" 187

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... ardson.jpg[/img1344bab]

Richardson gets a one way ticket from Valpo to Vegas. This scares a few more people than just Richardson's parents. Not because of his skills but because of the change in environment. Richardson has the cover skills needed at the CFL level and has surprised many opponents with his soft hands and the ability to produce turnovers. While Richardson is not the fastest CB by any stretch, he does have pro speed and can seduce QB's into giving it up. He has a shot at starting for this depleted Vegas secondary and his hands and speed may be the reason why.

[b1344bab]3.20[/b1344bab]
OLB - Ron Davidson
Washington
5'9" 225

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... vidson.jpg[/img1344bab]

Vegas' first reach came in the third round with the selection of undersized WLB Davidson out of Washington. It's possible there were some sort of concessions made at the Washington pro day but we're not sure why Vegas went with two Washington guys in their first three picks. Davidson definitely has a motor that doesn't quit (like TurfToe's mouth) and has the attitude you expect out of a MLB. Davidson's volatile nature may be the reason Vegas selected this Napoleonic spark plug but it could very well be the reason he's not on a 53-man roster later in 2020. Aside from being undersized, other knocks on Davidson include his rawness and his inability to really lay the lumber on ball carriers. His rawness is due to him playing his first football as a walk-on freshman and his lack of thumps is likely due to his small frame. Davidson is definitely one to watch as we approach the regular season. He may still be a Rounder come opening day or he may just need his Communications degree after all.

[b1344bab]4.25[/b1344bab]
DT - Donald McClenney
Duke
5'10" 271

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... enney2.jpg[/img1344bab]

There seems to be a recurring theme with Vegas - diminutive stature. Donald McClenney spent his last two seasons at Duke as an edge rusher using his football skills to beat pass blockers. He's not fast. He's not big. However, he is a football player. Mac's small frame and slow feet are probably what guided him into the pro's as an interior lineman. All of the scouts agree that Mac can diagnose a play, lay the lumber, and do it all game long. Despite his experience as a pass rusher at Duke, he is better against the run - definitely up Vegas' alley. TurfToe had this to say, "I'm not drafting supermodels. So what if the guy isn't 6'2" and 320 pounds. I'm drafting football players and not a mail order wife. The only measurables I care about are the ones that contribute to wins". We're fairly certain that's what other GM's are doing too, but McClenney was still around in the 4th round so that may be saying something.

[b1344bab]5.23[/b1344bab]
TE - Mel Hiscock
Connecticut
6'4" 249

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... iscock.jpg[/img1344bab]

The TE position has been a glaring need for the Rounders for some time now. TE Dustin Miles turned in an overachieving campaign during the 2019 championship run and free agent TE Pierre Mahoney (Vegas 6th round selection in 2011) was brought in to stop the bleeding. Finally, Hiscock appears to be a serious effort to get production out of the TE position. After Hiscock couldn't walk onto Connecticut's basketball team as a power forward in a guard's body, he bulked up and found his way onto the football field. As a high school receiver Hiscock developed good hands and developed a TE's physique preparing for collegiate competition. He will give QB Morris Moore a decent target at an under-utilized position in Vegas.

[b1344bab]6.22[/b1344bab]
MLB - Ronnie Sullivan
Kansas State
6'2" 253

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... llivan.jpg[/img1344bab]

Vegas has always had a stout LB corps. Even when their backers are bad, they rebound with a strong new group the next year. It appears as though TurfToe has been searching for someone to shore up one of the outside backer positions in the 2020 draft. After drafting Davidson earlier in round three, he comes back in the sixth round to take a large inside backer in Sullivan. Sullivan's story is that of an athletic safety that is big enough to hold down the middle at the college level. Sullivan does not have what it takes to play the middle in the pro's and it seems likely that his superior coverage skills will challenge current WLB Wendell Dixon for the starting spot. Dixon is more suited for the strong side but perennial stud Alan Leibert will not be relinquishing any of his starting duties any time soon. Sullivan can be expected to emerge during camp and maybe make a name for himself as early as 2021.

[b1344bab]7.21[/b1344bab]
FS - Spencer Breeden
Iowa State
6'1" 217

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... reeden.jpg[/img1344bab]

Iowa State's Spencer Breeden was a good college safety. He didn't wow the scouts at the combine but did get invited to several CFL interviews. One of those invites came from Vegas and they took a shot on him late in Day 2. Breeden may need a minor miracle to land a roster spot in Vegas or anywhere in the CFL this year and we are confident in labeling Breeden as a project for Vegas. Pre-draft analysis had Breeden taking his chances in the undrafted free agent ranks.

[b1344bab]7.28[/b1344bab]
P - Tim Beard
Texas Christian
6'2" 211

[img1344bab]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/ ... /Beard.jpg[/img1344bab]

Not very many punters get drafted in the CFL and it's safe to say that just as many, or fewer, Texas Christian players get drafted. The 7.28 was sent from Hartford to Vegas for Vegas' 2021 7th round selection and many were surprised to see it spent on a punter. Beard can kick a ball that's snapped to him and he can hold the ball for a place kicker. There's nothing more to see here, move along...

Last edited by TurfToe on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm 
Alaska Kodiaks

this is really cool!