It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Panthers Draft Runni
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:52 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[ibcd555f](Boston)[/ibcd555f] - With the 17th overall pick of the CFL draft, the Boston Panthers selected [bbcd555f]RB Bryant Pressley[/bbcd555f].

"We're very excited to have Bryant on board" said GM flere-imsaho. "We hoped he'd drop to #17, but didn't really expect it. We attempted to trade up to grab him, but were unsuccessful. So you can imagine our relief that he was available when we picked."

Pressley will join 11-year veteran [bbcd555f]Rodger Rubenstein[/bbcd555f], also a newcomer to Boston, in the Panthers' backfield. Pressley's agent says the rookie and Rubenstein, who has already become Boston's backfield position leader, have talked over the phone and made plans to look for houses in the Boston area together.

"Obviously we're thrilled that they've hit it off, as teammates" said Head Coach Sam Hobbs. "Clearly the void left by Sheehan's departure was a big one, but I think we now have a couple of guys who will team up and give us a great rushing attack."

Pressley and Rubenstein will be running behind a line that has All-Pros at both Guard and both Tackle positions. Center [bbcd555f]Tony Hayes[/bbcd555f] is no slouch, either. This, combined with excellent talent at Fullback and Tight End, should make Boston a formidable running team this year.

"I'll be honest, I was a bit concerned, coming to Boston" said veteran [bbcd555f]RB Rodger Rubenstein[/bbcd555f]. "Although we have a great O-Line here, I wasn't sure if I could handle the whole load. You get a guy like Pressley in, who's almost fully developed physically, and it'll take a lot of pressure off of me. I'm looking forward to showing the kid hte ropes and getting him started on what should be a great career in the CFL."

Boston's management is hopeful that Pressley will be under contract in time for training camp.